Search results

1. Notes_Norton

The wonders of Teflon tape

Thanks for the tip, Windy. Just in case I ever need it.
  2. Notes_Norton

Help

There was a time when I played a more closed mouthpiece and a harder reed. I actually liked to feel the horn vibrate in my hands as well as the reed on my lip. But those days are gone. I don't need the volume anymore. I find a wide tip opening and a softer reed gives me more variations of the...
  3. Notes_Norton

Don't tell anyone outside this group. We musicians have a reputation to protect. ;)
  4. Notes_Norton

Synthetic reeds question

After thinking about this for some time, I've come up with this answer, “It depends”. ;) If I were playing in a sax section where I wasn't soloing, and especially if I were doubling on clarinet and flute, I'd probably prefer a syn-reed. The tone is consistent, they don't warp while sitting on...
  5. Notes_Norton

Chickens? Turkeys? Geese? (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun)
  6. Notes_Norton

I'm not dead, yet.

Don't forget Usenet/Newsgroups and dial-up modems.
  7. Notes_Norton

I'm not dead, yet.

I hope you, your family and your dog heal quickly and completely.
  8. Notes_Norton

Reed-o-meter

I've never heard of this before. I just pull them out of the box, play them until they get too soft, or if they don't break in right, and move on. I do notice inconsistencies from one to the next in the same box.
  9. Notes_Norton

Synthetic reeds question

Fortunately, we have a choice. I also use a softer reed and a wide tip opening. That seems to give me the widest range of tonal colors. Notes ♫
  10. Notes_Norton

Help

If at one time you could feel the reed vibrate, and now can no longer feel it, I agree with BarrySachs. See a doctor. If I pay attention to it, I can feel the reed vibrate, but more often than not, I'm in the zone where I feel the music flowing through me, instead of from me. I play mainly...
  11. Notes_Norton

Synthetic reeds question

I would really like to love syn-reeds. I gig for a living and on stage sing and play sax, flute, wind synth, and guitar. We do 3 or 4 outdoor gigs per week here in South Florida, and the cane reeds have ample time to dry out and then warp. I suppose, whether you like them or not, depends on how...
  12. Notes_Norton

Synthetic reeds question

I tried over a dozen different brands of synthetic reeds. If I were a sax player in a section, many of them would be a great choice. But as a soloist, I didn't like any of them. Why? When I play a solo, I like to change the tone from notes to note for added expression. But the syn-reed tone...
  13. Notes_Norton

Questions about Roland Aerophone Go AE-05 (fingering customizations, bite sensor)

You might try https://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/ It's for wind controller players. There are plenty of Aerophone players on that forum. I use a WX5, so I can't help you with the fingerings. I've been having trouble getting in. If you can't write to matt@patchmanmusic.com - let him know you...
  14. Notes_Norton

Which instrument to begin with?

If you are a cello player, might I suggest tenor sax? The range is close to that of a cello, so you will find that familiar. Like the cello the tone is more complex than the flute or the recorder. I play sax and flute, and I find the sax easier. I don't find the recorder as expressive as the...
  15. Notes_Norton

Just picked up an EWI USB

Let me know if you come by, our schedule keeps changing. The owner of the place where we play regularly, just switched our days. We were getting rained out in the afternoon, so he adjusted.
  16. Notes_Norton

The WX5 has no internal sounds, so for me, it was a no brainer to go external. And yes, it took time to develop my current setup. I started with the WX7, Yamaha's first model, hooked to a TX81z with the output into the PA Mixer. That started to wear out, so I bought a WX11, Yamaha's second...
  17. Notes_Norton

Me playing my WX5 with red plastic film affixed to make it look snazzier. It's at a place we gigged at for 12.5 years until COVID hit, and it got sold. It's the birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, and the building is the original guard house. We are on the quay, behind us is the exterior wall...
  18. Notes_Norton

My WX5 sends out MIDI data, either from a standard 5 Pin DIN connector, or the proprietary WX cable, which also supplies DC power to the WX. In either case, the output is good ol' MIDI, and can run any synth or computer app that recognizes MIDI. I gig for a living, and never used wireless. I...
  19. Notes_Norton

I use a (sadly discontinued) Yamaha VL70m synth. It uses Physical Modeling synthesis, and it's the only sound module I've ever used with my WX that feels like I'm playing an instrument, instead of triggering samples. And I've been playing wind synth since the late 1980s. If you can get one with...
  20. Notes_Norton

There is a wind controller forum https://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/ and plenty of the members play various EWI models (I play a Yamaha WX5). The folks are like here, very friendly and eager to help. Notes ♫
Back
Top Bottom