Search results

1. How Much do Music Artists Earn?

Very interesting thread. I have two daughters in the arts. One is 25 and is a succesful self-employed professional artist/painter. The other is 17 and wants to be a full-time professional musician/saxophonist. Both say they do not plan on having children, as they want to succeed in their...
  2. What to do if I get offered to play professionally for the first time

My daughter is also applying to music conservatories right now. My biggest piece of advice is not to wait for offers, but to proactively go out and get them yourself. I would not wait for college to get these, although it may assist you. My daughter and I both started getting paid gigs at...
  3. Amy Dickson ~ Circular Breathing

My daughter learned circular breathing first on the oboe when she was about 14. It's useful there as a number of pieces for oboe are written with long phrases. One really can't perform the Strauss oboe concerto well without circular breathing. Then she transferred that skill to the saxophone...
  4. It's a Wonderful Life-the musical

For those of you who have played this musical I've got a question about how the Reed parts break down. From Pimental's site: Wonderful Life, A 1: Piccolo, flute, clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone 2: Piccolo, flute, clarinet, tenor saxophone 3: Flute, clarinet, bass clarinet...
  5. Classical solos written for Bari

Anglais vs. Angle Sorry I don't have the proper accent for the "e". Posters are correct in that the term "English Horn" came from an improper translation. However, in the USA, English horn is the common term for the angled horn or oboe. I was trying to be helpful to the original poster who...
  6. Classical solos written for Bari

bari sax solo My daughter found that some of the famous English horn solos sound beautiful on baritone sax. One she really likes is the English horn solo from Dvorak's New World symphony. With piano you'd have to transpose though.
  7. 875 - in White lacquer ?

875-EXW My daughter tried this sax (as well as every other sax on the floor) at the Navy symposium. She liked it a lot. She had recently purchased the 875 EXB and I beieve she found the tone slightly different.
  8. What are your doubles?

doubles I only play flutes (c, picc, alto and recorders) but daughter plays Oboe EH SATB saxes Bb, Eb and bass clarinet bassoon some flute and picc --she makes fun of me because I can "only" play flute
  9. Meet me in St. Louis

SOTSDO, I agree with you on the need to compromise and go with whatever the MD requests. She has actually always been willing to fill in on whichever instrument is needed in school ensembles. This particular MD directing Meet me in St Louis has already asked if she's interested in performing...
  10. Meet me in St. Louis

Update--my daughter has now completed several shows and has two more weeks to go. She went to three dress rehearsals and then performed. The MD hired a professional musician to cover the first two rehearsals while my daughter was at music camp, so the cuts were already written in. Daughter...
  11. Meet me in St. Louis

SOTSO, I appreciate your input on this. I also think she should do the musical, as does her sax teacher. Next week she'll play in her 6th musical, but they have all been at high schools and in our own county. This one--Meet me in St Louis--is a dinner theater and in another county, most...
  12. Meet me in St. Louis

My daughter went to Interlochen last summer after she attended Tanglewood and didn't like it. She was bored with the ensembles (they put her in intermediate due to age/grade, she was 14) and didn't like being restricted to her cabin area. I think some kids just don't like those...
  13. Meet me in St. Louis

Thanks Tammi. My daughter is the one who might play this. She planned to go to music camps for 6 weeks this summer, then she was offered this job at a dinner theater, which would mean cutting out three weeks of camp. The first camp is Tanglewood and she's not about to miss that one, so she'd...
  14. Meet me in St. Louis

From Bret Pimental's site: Reed 1: Picc Flute Clar Reed 2: Flute Clar Reed 3: Oboe EH Clar Reed 4: Clar Bass Cl Bassoon Does anyone know the breakdown for Reed 3? How much Oboe/EH vs. clarinet? Also, how difficult is this musical to play, if you were to have only 2 rehearsals?
  15. Split book

How is it that a professional and paid (I assume) show has the books split up with separate auditions? I thought that was not permitted, and only done in high school shows informally.
  16. Split book

The scenario that saxplayer describes sounds familiar. My 15-year old daughter has now played in 5 musicals and describes something similar in her last show. She also says she will only play an entire book in a musical; no splitting books for her. She works well with the professional...
  17. double tonguing

Hmm, I'm originally from that area Gandolfe. Maybe I know you. I don't play professionally, but at one time I was principal flute in the Bellevue Philharmonic. Compared to where I grew up, it is amazing what the kids get out here. Kids get Loree oboes before they even start middle school...
  18. double tonguing

We are in the Washington DC metropolitan area, which includes northern Virginia and part of Maryland. It is very competitive. At some youth orchestra auditions, there are 2-3 dozen young oboists auditioning. The Mozart concerto is the standard audition piece for at least one youth orchestra...
  19. double tonguing

double tonguing on oboe Double tonguing on oboe can be learned as a youth. My 14 year old daughter can double tongue on both oboe and sax. Youth today are expected I think to learn more sooner; there are plenty of high school age oboists around where we live who can double tongue.
Back
Top Bottom