1st time--all axes in 1 day

Yesterday was the first time I have played all my instruments (except backups) in the same day. Tuesday morning, alto, tenor and clarinet in a 10-piece swing band at a nursing home. Tuesday evening, pit orchestra rehearsal with bari and clarinet. It's probably common for others, but four horns, not counting individual practice, was a first for me.

It's probably common for others, but four horns, not counting individual practice, was a first for me.
Not to mention the logistic challenge...I think the clarinet is the easiest one to hide in one of the other cases, but when I look at my tenor case...then at my motorbike...then at the alto case...oy.

What you didn't say - was it fun?

The most I have done is a couple of horns. Normally it has been bari and tenor or bari and alto. My clarinet chops aren't ready for performance yet.

Not to mention the logistic challenge...I think the clarinet is the easiest one to hide in one of the other cases, but when I look at my tenor case...then at my motorbike...then at the alto case...oy.

What you didn't say - was it fun?
That's why I drive an old Subaru Forester. Lots of room and easy to load/unload. AM: tenor in Hiscox case slung on my back, alto with clarinet in the same case in my right hand, double sax stand and music stand in my left. PM: bari in wheeled BAM case pulled by right hand; clarinet case, bari stand and music stand in my left hand. I looked like a street bum who lost his shopping cart.

The music was fun (swing standards, Wizard of Oz) but I was tired by the end of the second rehearsal. Held the bari on my lap while playing clarinet to avoid lifting it from the stand. My next life will be as a piccolo player, and I may just stick wheels on each end and tow it with a piece of string.

Last edited:
With my jazz band, that I currently have on hiatus due to a health issue, I use all 5 different voices of saxes I play: soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, & bass. The bass I only use occassionally for large shows when we have a large stage. (Hotel ballrooms are good for that.) By the time you add all your sound gear, etc, etc, that's a lot of stuff to pack around for a show. As you've making your 10th trip out to the van, carrying in another arm load of gear, it is at that moment you come to the realization: You have become a gear slut. :-D

I used to do a show as feature performer with house trios. During the show I sang, played trumpet, flugelhorn, slide trombone, valve trombone, tenor sax, alto sax, bari sax and piano.

I considered myself lucky not to have to schlep the piano.

Al's got me beat, but I almost always have an alto, soprano, and clarinet on the stand wherever I play - and often play all three (one at a time) in one song. Some wonder how I deal with two differently keyed instruments in say an Ab tune (or whatever) but it has never been a problem for me. Reading a chart WOULD be a problem fior me. DAVE

Yes, I drive a station wagon...

The only times I've ever played them all in one day were for school demonstrations when my kids were in elementary school (the youngest is now finishing college). And that didn't include the srings or keyboards... :rolleyes:

horns-2.jpg

As for more performance-oriented gigs, I used to take bari, bass clarinet, flute, picc, & Eb sarrusophone to jazz band gigs. For wind symphony, I typically take bass clarinet, Eb and Bb contras, and sometimes a Bb or Eb sarrusophone.

The only times I've ever played them all in one day were for school demonstrations when my kids were in elementary school (the youngest is now finishing college). And that didn't include the srings or keyboards... :rolleyes:

horns-2.jpg

As for more performance-oriented gigs, I used to take bari, bass clarinet, flute, picc, & Eb sarrusophone to jazz band gigs. For wind symphony, I typically take bass clarinet, Eb and Bb contras, and sometimes a Bb or Eb sarrusophone.

... I can't say anything but AWESOME. That's amazing!

horns-2.jpg

WOW. thats an impressive amount of horns:)

horns-2.jpg

You play Heckelphone and English Horn without playing oboe? You're my new hero!

horns-2.jpg

Does your house have copper pipes too?

no mussette either...

You play Heckelphone and English Horn without playing oboe? You're my new hero!

Actually, there is an oboe there, to the left of the tenor sarrusophone and in front of the contra-alto clarinet. It kind of blends in :emoji_rolling_eyes: However, I did acquire the cor before the oboe, and it gets more play (the heckelphone gets even more :emoji_relaxed:)

No pipes at all

Does your house have copper pipes too?

We're actually between houses at the moment. Sold our house on the peninsula; can't move into the SF condo for a few more weeks. I don't think we're allowed to open the walls and look at the pipes there... ;-)

And yes, the wife is already making "thinning out the collection" suggestions...

I play all my horns almost every day of the week! Pretty easy when there's only one to play!;-) Hope to be able and to have more horns in the future!:emoji_relaxed:

Back
Top Bottom