A Trip to the Local Music Shop

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I don't often get to go to the music store, primarily because I either a) spend way too much time looking at things and b) it's 20 miles away, but I had to return my wife's rental soprano sax today, so I went to the "local" music store, Milano's Music out in downtown Mesa.

The interesting thing about Milano's is that they have a large percentage of the instruments that they sell on display. We're also not only talkin' student horns, we're talking top-of-the-line, like the Buffet R-13 Greenline clarinets and Selmer Reference saxophones. I'm extremely surprised that more of their instruments don't get damaged!

Anyhow, I got to get up-close and personal with several horns I was interested in looking at, the Cannonball "Stoned" horns. They had two of the bari saxophones on display, a "Brute" finished horn (i.e. "vintage brass") and a "Raven" (i.e. "black nickel") one. The thing I found interesting is how ... unappealing the "Brute" finish is, in person. I've owned several bare-brass horns that had been "naturally aged" and the "Brute" finish looks like a darker version of that. I'm not quite sure why anyone would really want that. Now, the horns also had the "semiprecious stones" scattered over them, but they were quite understated: the "Brute" horn had brownish stones that blended into the horn and the "Raven" one had black-ish stones that blended into the horn. Hey, I'd like a little pop if I'm gonna spring for a horn in the $6K range.

The other interesting thing is that you'll see that the horns are stamped, "Designed in USA. Made in R.O.C."

(Oh. The "big bell" isn't all that large, at least on the baris.)

The other thing is that there were some Selmer Soloist saxophones behind the Cannonball baris. It was interesting how similar that the horns looked.

The one thing that I thought was better looking in person than online was the Cannonball clarinets with their selection of "exotic wood" barrels and bells. Very pretty and much nicer looking than the Buffet horns and Selmer Soloist clarinets.

Now, this is all just "looks." I've no idea how any of these play or sound. But, y'know, if it looks good, chances are that you'll play it more!

A Trip...

"Stoned"...
I think a "trip" or being "stoned" are some of the few things that would even make me go to a local music stores... :)

Other than that...
The one thing that I thought was better looking in person than online was the Cannonball clarinets with their selection of "exotic wood" barrels and bells. Very pretty and much nicer looking than the Buffet horns and Selmer Soloist clarinets.
I've seen all models and tried them all. I absolutely didn't like the look, thought they looked even much worse than they do online. There was also nothing about them I liked when I played them.

The music stores around here are depressing because their prices are not even competitive. Other than the elementary and jr. high school markets, I suspect they don't sell many instruments. The cost of reeds is even sadder plus an open box has usually been picked through. I feel for these shops because their margins are so close. I suspect the repair shop is where the money is today.

guess I'm lucky.. our local music shop is as cheap as WWBW usually. Reeds, mouthpieces, horns, everything. Repair is as cheap as can be, and it's one of the best techs I've been to. I keep asking him why, and it's because he and the two guys that work for him are busy repairing instruments all day every day and that's where the money is. They have a never ending line of horns for each of them, and they move instruments. Used horn prices are comparable to what you see here and on SoTW, and new prices are comparable to WWBW, maybe a smidgen higher, but not much

Anyhow, I got to get up-close and personal with several horns I was interested in looking at, the Cannonball "Stoned" horns. They had two of the bari saxophones on display, a "Brute" finished horn (i.e. "vintage brass") and a "Raven" (i.e. "black nickel") one. The thing I found interesting is how ... unappealing the "Brute" finish is

I agree with your assessment of the look of the "Brute" finish Pete. However I have seen first hand where groups of junior high or high school music students walk past a Cannonball display at a music clinic or festival that they make a bee line to the Brute finish saxes exclaiming how "cool" they look.

The fact is that Cannonball isn't marketing to us traditional old farts who already have our Selmers and Yamahas. They are marketing to the new generation of players and musicians. The uglier it looks to us old folks, the more the kids like it. It took me a long time to warm up to the different color finishes and the stones in the keys.

The one redeeming fact about the Brute finish is that it is unlacquered brass that has been "chemically aged". Unlike other bright unlacquered saxes it is never going to look worse that it did when you bought it. :)

I like the burnished brass look, but that's just too brown... I do kinda like the different key touches though. Silver sax with Onyx keys=sexy!

...the "Brute" horn had brownish stones that blended into the horn...

The Brute finish horns have tigers eye as their semi-precious stones. (At least I assume they do, if they're like the Mad Megs of a few years ago.) I'm not sure what the Raven finish horns have. I haven't seen one of those up close and personal.

Here's a close-up of of my friend's Mad Meg tenor. It has the tigers eye as resonance stones, as well as for its key touches.

Music stores? We don' need no steeking music stores...

With the demise of the Brook-Mays empire, we in the greater Houston area don't really have many of these any longer.

The local big operation, H & H Music (which was once part of Brook-Mays) has come back into being, but on a much smaller scale than before. Other than them (and they have never had a decent selection of horns from which to choose), there are one or two other small dealers with a "horn" presence. There are also the usual assortment of guitar and keyboard shops, plus one really good percussion shop.

So, for the fourth largest city in the nation, the internet is the only way to go.

The one redeeming fact about the Brute finish is that it is unlacquered brass that has been "chemically aged". Unlike other bright unlacquered saxes it is never going to look worse that it did when you bought it. :)
The thing for me, regarding this finish, is that I don't know how long it might last. Hey, that finish hasn't been round for very long. With copper, silver, gold, painted, enamel and lacquer, we have quite a few examples to look at.

Back
Top Bottom