Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Albert/Boehm/Oehler for Bepop Jazz and Classical?

Hi all.

I'm a guitar player with a long time passion for clarinet, Thinking of getting my 1st one.
I'm currently in Istanbul and interested in getting a Turkish G Clarinet, all of which are made with Albert systems and focus on playing turkish music.

From what I gathered playing heavily chromatic/rapidly key changing styles of music like Bepop or late romantic is very diffcult on an Albert.
This is a bit intmidating for me. I don't mind getting a different clarinet in a different key(Bb) later on but getting one with a different system is another story especially since this is not my 1st instrument.

I would really like to play classical era/eraly romantic and Bepop Jazz later on with the Clarinet.

What about the Oehler for genres like Bepop? and is it similar to the Albert?
If it is similar and better suited for chromaticism maybe that can be a solution for later on.

Thx in advance for the help.

I hope someone is able to answer your question.

I play some Albert for classical older Romantic stuff, but it's not my primary insrument (the Albert) at all - I Play Boehm keywork 99.9% of the time.
I'm also not familiar with turkish music though they tend to favor what you reviewed.

But it's all familiarity with the instrument and hard practicing to get technique down for any genre and any instrument.

Start with this article maybe?

However, for the last ninety years or so, almost all clarinet players outside of Germany, Austria, Russia and (in part) The Netherlands have been taught on the Boehm. The Albert has slowly faded (except for the occasional outlier like me) until it’s sort of like Welsh – spoken by a few but for the most part ignored. Meanwhile, in their own little Teutonic ghetto, “German style” players keep the Oehler horn (and its simpler cousins) alive and very well.

Read more: https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/albert-system-clarinet-in-a-nutshell/

A lot of musicians in Europe still play Albert system. My tárogatós are Albert, and for me the main issue is the F, But on the other hand, it is the same problem or non-problem on the oboe. It's always a question of your next note down, if to E you use the standard fingering, if to D you have to use the fork fingering. Otherwise it's not really a big deal.

FWIW, I never really considered any other keywork system other than Boehm for myself. Arguably, the WX5 that I now play is a lot closer to Albert/"simple system," though. However, I also have the advantage that I don't have to worry about using different fingerings in different registers -- unless I really want to :).

Turkish and Greek and some jazz players prefer the Albert clarinets due to their larger bore and normally lower price .. from what I've been told. And with some cross-history in those regions with the tárogató which has similar looking keywork, some seem to opt for Albert clarinets.

Plus they are normally are much cheaper than a more modern large bore clarinet even if it's an older model such as a Selmer Centered Tone or Leblanc Dynamic/Pete Fountain models or a modern RC Prestige.

Back
Top Bottom