Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Am I the only crazy clarinetist with 5 barrels?

I have one of those click barrels. Great invention. But the bore on those is huge, but seemed a perfect match for a Selmer CT.

I also have many various barrels (mostly for Buffet), but for a different reason. I have barrels from 64 to 66 with various internal bore dimensions.

I've bought Buffet Moenning barrels where the bore is standard moenning and then straight cyclindrical but labeled "Moennig". Go figure, someone at the factory forgot to ream it or something. I prefer the Chadash taper myself.

I use a normal rule that a 66 cyclindrical is the same as a 65 tapered.

I also have a 63 Wolfgang in the case, and various other sizes but nothing less than a 63.

I guess if i was playing in a cold room where I'm always flat I could always use a high pitch clarinet (442) ? hmmm, I wonder how that would work ?

But a piano at 447 .. maybe just take the lower joint off and ad-lib :)

Check with an engine mechanic or shop that sells to them for shims. Bring a calliper. Probably free.

Clarinet barrels??
I have three Bb clarinets that I currently use (all Selmers):
- 10G (my main one that I use for orchestra/band work aka: real gigs)
- Series 9 (I bought this two years ago and have been playing it off/on)
- Signet Soloist (I practice on this almost every day. It was my high-school instrument.)
The Selmer barrel that I use on my 10G is marked 2mmS which puts puts the clar in the pocket (intonation-wise).
I also use a 2mmS barrel on the Series 9 but I have to bring the throat-tones "down" on that inst.

My Signet is my "problem child" as I am trying to make it play more/less like my 10G.
I know that it's different but practicing on it actually makes me a better player as it takes more to make it sound good
thus
I have been on a "barrel-kick" with my Signet as I do not want to use one of the barrels that I use on my real clarinets (10G/9).

During Covid I purchased three Chinese wooden adjustable barrels (3 for $99) on ebay. The intonation is funky although a concert Bb is spot on - everything else???
I tried a metal RS Berkley adjustable. It's ok and fits the clar in the winter (super dry up here now [ 2 degrees outside this a.m.] this the air is dry) but is quite snug in the more humid months.
I have a Rovner Proteus (rectangular bore) that plays better in tune but the tone is rather bright...
My latest one is a 63mm Accubore. This one actually shows promise. Intonation around 441 plus it produces a tone I can live with.

I perform in several professionl groups but also play in a few community-oriented bands thus I need to play sharp (sometimes very) just to blend....

Yes, I know that there is no "silver bullet" that will make my Signet play like my 10G but it is a good project that keeps me practicing during the cold winter months.

Back
Top Bottom