Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Another 16V for Sale

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
And a tonal color palette that defies description.

I have a recording of the Sorcerer's Apprentice by a French orchestra, and it sounds like they use a sarrusophone in lieu of the much more common contra-bassoon. I feel that it realizes the intent of the composer better than a product of the Heckel works. Or, is there such a thing as a French contra-bassoon?

It IS a brass bassoon. With saxophone fingerings.
I'd like to have one. But lack the financial resources to acquire one and the house storage space.

another reason to like the 4 piece clarinet .... they're compact.

Last edited:
I had one just like this with the Conn single reed mouthpiece, which worked very well. It used alto sax reeds. I found the mouthpiece first, and then stumbled upon the horn only 2 weeks later. It must have been in the stars.

The big advantage is in its portability. It's certainly the easiest contrabass instrument to move around in or out of the case.

Conn's sarrusophone is loud enough to compete with modern ensembles in terms of volume. On the other hand, it's very difficult to blend. I sold mine for a nice profit about ten years after I bought it to help finance my Tubax.

The Tubax is better in every way except that you can't do choreography with it.

Last edited:
You could do the moves with it if you chose to...it's just that you don't want others to see you doing them.

The contra-bass sax player with the Nuclear Whales used to dance a sort of jig with his horn. Agile? No. Graceful? No. But, he did well enough considering...

ya but with a contrabass sax it balances a lot better than the tubax. It has a lot more weight above the neck, whereas the tubax has almost nothing to speak of in terms of head weight

Back
Top Bottom