Asking help with trill flat

Please provide help explaining how to play Trill flat indicated on attachment.

Trilling up? from which note to other.

Thank you

Rick

Attachments

• Trill flat.jpeg
    Trill flat.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 205
Trill from C to Db.

On a standard instrument, you would finger the C with one little finger, then trill the Db (C#) with the other. On an Albert, I don't think that the mechanism allows this one, but it's been a while since I've played an Albert. On an Oehler, the Patent C# mechanism should allow you to finger the C with the right hand, and trill to the Db (C#) with the left.

This is all from memory, by the way. I've put all my horns in storage while we prep our house for sale, this since my soft palate problem prevents me from playing them. I had a four hour band job last night, and played the EWI and synthesizer for all of it. It doesn't sound as good (and the hair-trigger nature of the four octave keys is frustrating in the extreme), but I tried to blow one number (Twist And Shout, where the bari part is pretty essential, and couldn't even get the thing to speak without the palate leaking like a sieve.

Tomorrow is the date with the speech therapist...

Best of luck tomorrow T.

Regarding fingering options, knowing what instrument you are trilling on makes a difference.

After all, if it isn't a 5 digit mk vi, who really cares!:emoji_rage:

On a standard instrument, you would finger the C with one little finger, then trill the Db (C#) with the other. On an Albert, I don't think that the mechanism allows this one, but it's been a while since I've played an Albert. On an Oehler, the Patent C# mechanism should allow you to finger the C with the right hand, and trill to the Db (C#) with the left.

This is all from memory, by the way...

He doesn't even say he's playing the clarinet, but in any case your memory's playing up on you. This trill is much the same on any german system as on boehm. RH C natural and trill with LH C# key. It doesn't need the patent C#; that just allows you to play C# with the 'B' key alone i.e. without the RH C key.

I don't think the he was looking for fingerings though, just wanted to know what the flat above the "tr" means.

Gentlemen:

My apology for leaving out the fact that I am attempting it on my Yamaha 34 Bb clarinet .

Thank you for your help.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom