Best A Clarinet

Hello! Everyone

I'd like to introduce myself. I am Elizabeth Ortiz, and I will be attending California Baptist University this fall, 2023, as a Music Education Major. I'm considering purchasing A Clarinet as either used or brand new, and the budget would probably be under $4,000.00. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated it.

Thank You

Elizabeth Ortiz
Foothill College C/O '23
CBU C/O '26

Welcome to the forum, Elizabeth. Regarding where to buy an A Clarinet, have you looked at:

E-Bay: The Mighty Quinn Brass and Winds

In the search bar, type a clarinet and press [ENTER]. Today, 14 clarinets came up. He has:

Selmer Paris Model A16 Presence SeleS Professional A Clarinet SN R01538 OPEN BOX

for $2,499.00 starting bid no bidders yet, closing in 22 hours. (Photos shows item looks new, corks look new with very little cork grease use. Case has room for another clarinet. Open box usually implies that item is in like new condition but taken out of the original box.) You can call their number under their [ABOUT] tab for more info on it, same number as in the ad at the top of this page. It is possible he has others not listed.

He has other A clarinets that are new, several are under your $4,000 cap.

Before I came here, back in 2021, I purchased from them a new Antigua Winds BS3220LQ Bari Sax for $2,155 before tax and shipping. This is the same sax that was listed under one of the popular on-line musical instrument sites for $4,200. It was well packed, survived UPS. Last Saturday, they had a 6 church sing along of the local churches here in town at the Salvation Army church. I brought my bari and wailed with them in their band. (Two of the pastors, one an Air Force chaplain and another from Assembly of God play alto sax, had keyboardist, rhythm guitarist, drummer and several singers leading.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quinn is (or was) a sponsor here. If you don't want to deal with FleaBay, you can visit his online store here. He's a great guy, and if you can't find what you are looking for, call him and he will keep an eye out for you. That Selmer Series 10 is a great deal, even if it needs some work.

DSCN2388.JPG
DSCN2389.JPG
DSCN2390.JPG
DSCN2378.JPG
DSCN2382.JPG
DSCN2394.JPG

This is from my Craig's List add:

This is a nice matched Pair of Selmer Series 10 Mazzeo Clarinets: A & Bb

Serial Numbers W08## (A Clarinet) & W 68** (Bb Clarinet)

This would put the year of production at 1970 – 1971. Both joints have matching serial numbers.

Both are in excellent condition, with no cracks. Pads are in great shape.

The Mazzeo system is fully functional on both horns.

Comes with 2 Brilhart Mouthpieces both 3*

I’m told that these had belonged to the director of the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra.

The case is in Great shape, no keys, the latches secure the case but do not spring open

A rare pair of professional grade clarinets in excellent shape.

The link I gave wasn't for a clarinet needing servicing, it was in new condition. Isn't the Series 10 a Bb Soprano Clarinet?
Please see picture #4 there is a "A" Clarinet in the photo next to the Bb - the A is the longer one.

BTW - Yes, Quinn enjoys a good reputation, I bought my Silver Yanis from him - a B9930 Bari, and a T9935 Tenor, and it was a good transaction.

Interesting that the LH thumb key is a plateau rather than a ring. Was that a Selmer thing or a peculiarity of an A clarinet?

Hey Saxhound, it's a Mazzeo thing - from Wikipedia:
The Mazzeo system is a key system for the clarinet invented by Rosario Mazzeo in the 1950s,[1] and is a modification of the Boehm system. Exclusive mass-production rights were given to the Selmer company, although only 13,000 were made.[citation needed] Many are now in museums, but some are in private collections or can be found for sale. In addition to the instruments made in France, Selmer's "Bundy" and "Signet" lines of student instruments (made in the U.S.) each included a Mazzeo model.

The differences between a Boehm system clarinet and a Mazzeo system clarinet are

• The throat B♭ using the A key and any one or combination of left-hand second or third finger or right-hand first, second, or third fingers to operate a linkage opening the third right-index-finger trill key, rather than using the inadequately vented register key to obtain that pitch; the same fingerings, minus A key, produce A; traditional (Boehm) B♭ and A fingerings are also available;
  • A left-hand-thumb plateau key;
  • A ringless bell with less flare.
Full and modified Mazzeo clarinets feature

• An E♭/B♭ key playable with the thumb, first, and third fingers and D♭/A♭ key on the left-hand side;
  • An articulated B♭ to C♯ keys;
  • An alternate left-hand A♭/E♭ key.
Mine is the first, not the "full and modified Mazzeo"

Quinn is (or was) a sponsor here. If you don't want to deal with FleaBay, you can visit his online store here. He's a great guy, and if you can't find what you are looking for, call him and he will keep an eye out for you. That Selmer Series 10 is a great deal, even if it needs some work.
Is a sponsor, via Gandalfe :D.

I've tried a Series 10 Bb, and I thought it was a really nice horn. The Mazzeo System is the cherry on top.

Regards to the OP,

no pressure to buy the 10's

I think the forum would be interested in what you did buy and why... and any other observations you may have to share
with your experiences as a 2023 music student . (Kind of hard to fiddle with these fonts)

Update:
While it's unfortunately, I will not be able to purchase an "A" Clarinet any time soon. I still don't have a regular job, and money for college is all on loans and will be in debt for a a few years.

At one time back in the mid 1970's, I was a poor college student, so I understand where you are at.

In the late 1970's, I joined the Hawaii Army National Guard. I found that I made more money a weekend a month than shelving books at the University of Hawaii Library part time for two weeks. With 3 semesters left, they offered a tuition waiver for Guardsmen in good standing. It was nice to only have to pay student activity fees and books for 3 semesters. Last semester, I transferred to the 111th Army Band under the Guard. I did more flying in those 4 months (governor tasked us with playing the various outer island "Aloha Day" parades), than I did 2 years as a helicopter mechanic.

California has (or used to have) an Army National Guard Band that rehearsed in the old Alameda Naval Station (now reserve base) near Seal Beach. I don't know what their current benefits are, but might be worth checking out, get paid to play your clarinet. There is also the 300th Army Reserve Band, was in Bell, CA in the LA area. They are Federal, so benefits may vary, but could be an option. If your school is in the San Francisco Bay area, there is or was the 91st Training Division Band, used to be in Sausalito, I think they moved to Fort Hunter Ligat.

They issue the instruments to use, usually good intermediate or professional quality.

Last edited:
At one time back in the mid 1970's, I was a poor college student, so I understand where you are at.

In the late 1970's, I joined the Hawaii Army National Guard. I found that I made more money a weekend a month than shelving books at the University of Hawaii Library part time for two weeks. With 3 semesters left, they offered a tuition waiver for Guardsmen in good standing. It was nice to only have to pay student activity fees and books for 3 semesters. Last semester, I transferred to the 111th Army Band under the Guard. I did more flying in those 4 months (governor tasked us with playing the various outer island "Aloha Day" parades), than I did 2 years as a helicopter mechanic.

California has (or used to have) an Army National Guard Band that rehearsed in the old Alameda Naval Station (now reserve base) near Seal Beach. I don't know what their current benefits are, but might be worth checking out, get paid to play your clarinet. There is also the 300th Army Reserve Band, was in Bell, CA in the LA area. They are Federal, so benefits may vary, but could be an option. If your school is in the San Francisco Bay area, there is or was the 91st Training Division Band, used to be in Sausalito, I think they moved to Fort Hunter Ligat.

They issue the instruments to use, usually good intermediate or professional quality.
I wish I knew about the military band sooner. Unfortunately, I can't join due to being over the age limit. :-(

Back
Top Bottom