Buffet clarinet year of manufacture

35 years ago I purchased an "ancient" Buffet A clarinet from a local repairman.
The top joint was "pinned" properly and the inst. was tight.
The barrel was not original.

I have used this inst. for some local orchestra work ('have finally settled on a barrel that plays pretty-well in tune....it's the barrel from my [high school years] Signet Soloist).

The above being said, I have always been curious as to the age of the inst.
(It has a wrap-around register key - so it probably pre-dates the 1930's.

The bottom joint has the serial # stamped: 237H1
There is an L stamped below the buffet insignia on the top joint.

I have attached pics.

....and yes, I probably should have the keys buffed at some point...

I have looked at different sites researching the date of manufacture but have come up empty-handed.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4188.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4188.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_IMG_4189.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4189.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 29
Always happy to recommend Steve's work. Here's a list of Buffet serial numbers, with a bunch of comparison pics. Check out his other pages on Buffet, too. @Steve, 1913 sound good to you? One of the ranges listed is 2H1 – 999H1

"L" should stand for "Low Pitch," where concert A=440hz. It's currently the intonation standard used in the US. In France, for orchestral use, they use A=442hz. It's not so much of a difference that your embochure can't handle :D. There were different intonation standards throughout the years, but the the major one from the late 19th century to after WWI (and a couple makers into the 1960s) was High Pitch, A=457hz, which you can't compensate for without radically altering your woodwind's design.

I highly recommend more pics. My recommendations can be found at https://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-us-to-help-you.21021/

1913 looks to be correct
I have one of these in Bb sitting around on the shelves.
It's amazing thinking of how old these are and how they've stood the test of time.
111 years old that one is.

that's like 1/3rd of my age ... or 3x .. 2x .. my math is fuzzy :)

Back
Top Bottom