Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I'm allergic to milk and over the last five years I have become increasingly sensitive to it. I used to be able to tolerate small amounts of cheese but lately I can't even eat the Soy Cheese since it has casein in it (casein is yet another milk protein). I always assumed I was lactose intolerant but the lactaid never really helped. I now suspect I have an allergy to casein.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some research into the whole casein allergy and found a site that reviewed various casein and lactose free products. One of the products that they reviewed was from Purely Decadent - Coconut Milk Ice Cream. The review indicated that this stuff was vastly superior to the soy ice cream as well as the rice based stuff. If you haven't had soy ice cream I can tell you that it's not bad. It's generally dense and most people only eat it because they avoid milk.

The Coconut Milk Ice Cream is really tasty. It's less healthy than the soy stuff and has 7 grams of fat (all of it saturated). It's really good. There's a slight coconut flavor to the two flavors(Vanilla Bean and Cookie Dough) I've tried so far but I don't mind coconut. The best thing is that you can put a spoon into the stuff and actually get it to come out of the container. The consistency is slightly softer than Bryers and a bit more dense. The mouth feel of it reminds me of Hagen Daas. The fat content of the ice cream that we have on hand is 11 grams per serving with 5 grams of that saturated. The Purely Decadent has 7 grams of fat and all of it is saturated.

I found it at Whole Foods.

Now I'm craving ice cream!... That sounds really yummy!

Yes, gelato is very popular in South Philly, which has a large Italian American population. Good stuff!

Wow Ed, it's a pretty warm night here in Jersey, and now you've got me set for some ice cream. I've never heard of coconut milk ice cream, but you make it sound pretty tasty. If I see it in the store, I'll check it out.

I found this recipe on about.com but I haven't tried it yet:

The Asian version of "ice cream," made with coconut milk instead of dairy products.
Ingredients:

• 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
  • 1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 cup toasted coconut, optional
Preparation:

Combine the coconut milk and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the extract and the coconut flakes. Chill in the freezer, stirring occasionally until hardened, or prepare in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Top with toasted coconut before serving.

They had gelato shops on every corner. Kind of like Starbucks here in the States.
Not just there. Here they (Starbucks cafes) are popping up like mushrooms after the reain. And push others out of house and business - their renting power seems unlimited.

Last edited:
It's all part of the Italian plot to return to the international stage as a world power. First, gelato stands. Next, they commission their first every operational aircraft carrier. Nuclear weapons are but weeks away...

Back
Top Bottom