Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Conn clarinet post locking screws

Ok, so does *anyone* know where I can purchase/find some of these minuscule beasts?! I have a 444N that's missing a couple and I know I could try to find an old, abused beater to harvest them from. I'm going to try to give Ferree's a shout to see if they have them, but other than that, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks!
John

Those itty-bitty things?

Ferree's may be the best bet as they owned the Conn repair studio at one time. Gary (RIP) also was a Conn clarinet aficionado who kept a few NOS Conn 424N clarinets in his closet. I would call them and ask rather than rummaging through their catalog. I doubt there's much demand for them.

Those itty-bitty things?

Ferree's may be the best bet as they owned the Conn repair studio at one time. Gary (RIP) also was a Conn clarinet aficionado who kept a few NOS Conn 424N clarinets in his closet. I would call them and ask rather than rummaging through their catalog. I doubt there's much demand for them.

Steve, yeah....those tiny **** things. ;-) I called and talked to Curtis Ferree and unfortunately, he doesn't have 'em or make 'em. I guess I'll look for a junker to harvest from.
Hey btw.....I sent you an email a few weeks ago about Selmer clarinets. Get it?

Thanks!
John

You may also try an R/C model shop - they carry many types of grub screws for servos, set collars etc etc.

Steve, yeah....those tiny **** things. ;-) I called and talked to Curtis Ferree and unfortunately, he doesn't have 'em or make 'em. I guess I'll look for a junker to harvest from.
Hey btw.....I sent you an email a few weeks ago about Selmer clarinets. Get it?

Thanks!
John
If you get a junker, I'd love to have the original barrel for one, as the 444N I bought recently needs a barrel that actually matches the instrument.
(Also I sent you an email too about 2 weeks ago Steve.)

I believe they are the same size as the saxophone "set-screw" which is currently available from Ferree's. They are listed under part number C47 and cost $11.60 per dozen. They are also available from Kraus Music Products, but he only sells to professionals in the repair trade.

If you get a junker, I'd love to have the original barrel for one, as the 444N I bought recently needs a barrel that actually matches the instrument.
(Also I sent you an email too about 2 weeks ago Steve.)

If I get a junker with an original Conn barrel, I'll definitely let you know!

I believe they are the same size as the saxophone "set-screw" which is currently available from Ferree's. They are listed under part number C47 and cost $11.60 per dozen. They are also available from Kraus Music Products, but he only sells to professionals in the repair trade.

It sure would be nice if they're the same size as the saxophone set/locking screws! Unfortunately, I sold my 10M a while back, so I can't test myself. Something tells me the saxophone screws would be slightly larger. I suppose I could order a dozen from Ferree's and return if they're not the right size. Yeah, I was wondering if Kraus has/makes them. I just started doing repair and haven't yet set up as a small business, so for now at least, I'll have to pass on him.
*Edit*.... I just looked at Kraus' website and he does have the sax set screws but does NOT have the clarinet ones, which leads me to believe they aren't the same size.

Thanks to both of you!
John

The Conn "set screws" are 1-64. A quick search on the web finds knowledgeable techs saying both saxes and clarinets use the same size, besides how much smaller could a point screw be? Flat spring screw threads are often 0-80, but they also have a large slotted head.

The Conn "set screws" are 1-64. A quick search on the web finds knowledgeable techs saying both saxes and clarinets use the same size, besides how much smaller could a point screw be? Flat spring screw threads are often 0-80, but they also have a large slotted head.

Well hells bells! I guess I'll order me a dozen with my next Ferree's order. I'll let you all know the results.
Thanks jbt

John

Either Ferree's ran out of these, or the sax and clarinet ones are different, or whoever you talked to there was just confused. I've ordered them from Ferree's before for saxophone. I don't know if the clarinet ones are the same or not.

Kraus supposedly has them, but like John said those screws are 1-64 and the ones from Kraus are actually 1-72 which is weird but supposedly no repairer could figure out why that is...

You can buy 1-64 threaded rod and cut and slot screw yourself. Or just get rod and a die and make them.

Either Ferree's ran out of these, or the sax and clarinet ones are different, or whoever you talked to there was just confused. I've ordered them from Ferree's before for saxophone. I don't know if the clarinet ones are the same or not.

Kraus supposedly has them, but like John said those screws are 1-64 and the ones from Kraus are actually 1-72 which is weird but supposedly no repairer could figure out why that is...

You can buy 1-64 threaded rod and cut and slot screw yourself. Or just get rod and a die and make them.

Yeah, I'm going to bet the clarinet ones are smaller (1/72). I seriously doubt if a 1/64 screw can be forced into a 1/72 thread/opening. Man, this is just turning into something that might not be worth the freaking hassle. OR it'll get some fabricators (Ferree's and Kraus) just to name two......to make these screws again. You would think there are enough older Conn clarinets still out there being repaired to make them needed.
Thanks much!
John

I seriously doubt if a 1/64 screw can be forced into a 1/72 thread/opening.
You could, in theory, but they wouldn't thread, just squish into the hole. Though they wouldn't in the case of clarinet posts and screws. The screws being harder would force the post metal to move so the screw would just force itself into it, sort of embedding there, if you use enough force. Your welcome for that extremely useful information :)

Man, this is just turning into something that might not be worth the freaking hassle. OR it'll get some fabricators (Ferree's and Kraus) just to name two......to make these screws again. You would think there are enough older Conn clarinets still out there being repaired to make them needed.
It looks like there are no where close to enough to justify the market of Conn clarinet set screws. I imagine most screw machine shops could make them... for a small minimum order of 10,000 screws :)

You could, in theory, but they wouldn't thread, just squish into the hole. Though they wouldn't in the case of clarinet posts and screws. The screws being harder would force the post metal to move so the screw would just force itself into it, sort of embedding there, if you use enough force. Your welcome for that extremely useful information :)

It looks like there are no where close to enough to justify the market of Conn clarinet set screws. I imagine most screw machine shops could make them... for a small minimum order of 10,000 screws :)

Jeez man...with friends like you, who needs enemies? :-D

If you live in the US I could do the same in probably less time and expense than mailing from Israel. Just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom