Contrabass Sarrusophone

contrabass sarrusophone sound

A bassoon student who also plays saxophone at Montclair State University used one of my contrabass sarrusophones for a wind ensemble concert. The piece was Grainger's "Children's March" in the original instrumentation. She spent most of the semester learning to play it and becoming used to its idiosyncrasies. Using a contrabass sarrusophone reed she played with an uncommonly elegant, controlled, smooth, orchestrally refined tone. It sounded like a contrabassoon when soft, but had much more power and strength when needed. It was easy to understand how the instrument was held in positive regard at the end of the 19th and early 20th century, and, by her playing, certainly sounds like a viable instrument for both orchestras and wind groups. before fading into obscurity.

Paul Cohen

I found a Conn single-reed contrabass sarrusophone mouthpiece in a box of junk in a repair shop about 20 years ago. Since the mouthpieces seemed to be harder to find than the horn, I started looking for a Conn contrabass sarrusophone.

Through sheer luck I found one only two weeks later through my friends at Dillon Music, and I bought it. I found the single reed sarrusophone mouthpiece (which was invented by Adolphe Sax, by the way) to be very easy to use. The double reed sarrusophone reed enables more control for the player, however.

I finally sold my sarrusophone to help raise money for a Tubax. I think the Tubax is a superior instrument.

When I played some of QuinnTheEskimo's sarrusophones I quickly realized that I would never spend the time to come up to speed with the unique and beautiful instrument. To a hobbyist like me that just picked up clarinet and one that continues to wrestle with flute, the sarrusophone just didn't make sense.

But played well, it is a lovely instrument. I suspect people who can play the instrument well are world-class musicians.

I found a Conn single-reed contrabass sarrusophone mouthpiece in a box of junk in a repair shop about 20 years ago. Since the mouthpieces seemed to be harder to find than the horn, I started looking for a Conn contrabass sarrusophone.

Through sheer luck I found one only two weeks later through my friends at Dillon Music, and I bought it. I found the single reed sarrusophone mouthpiece (which was invented by Adolphe Sax, by the way) to be very easy to use. The double reed sarrusophone reed enables more control for the player, however.

I finally sold my sarrusophone to help raise money for a Tubax. I think the Tubax is a superior instrument.
[resize=200]http://saxpics.com/conn/pics/saxtek/Sarrusophone1.jpg[/resize] [resize=200]http://saxpics.com/conn/pics/saxtek/Sarrusophone3.jpg[/resize]

From my old website. Further mouthpiece pics.

Y'know, Groove, you sold that horn in 2007. I still get an e-mail about every other month from someone that wants to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom