Copyright Infringement

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
"Public Announcement, an R&B and hip hop group, released the song “D.O.G. in Me” on their All Work, No Play album in 1998. Bridgeport claims that “D.O.G. in Me” infringed its copyright on Clinton’s “Atomic Dog” based on the use of the phrase “Bow wow wow, yippie yo, yippie yea” (the “Bow Wow refrain”), as well as use repetition of the word “dog” in a low tone of voice at regular intervals and the sound of rhythmic panting in “D.O.G. in Me.”

Read more...

Geesh, Louise.

I seem to remember that Harley-Davidson tried to copyright the sound of its bikes, which really does sound something like, "Potato, potato, potato."

Of course, I could just be repeating an urban legend. I'm too lazy to check Snopes.

If the group in question feels strongly about it, let them take it to court and prove it. There are many such cases (one involving George Harrison "of the Beatles", as the lyric from "Frank Mills" in Hair would style him), and they just might get a judge to side with them. However, any judge hearing such a case is going to interpret the law very tightly.

That such "music" is little more than organized noise is, of course, beside the point.

And, what's with all of the thuggish looking guys that always are standing on stage with such groups, doing nothing other than glaring with their arms crossed?

Back
Top Bottom