cork reglue

hi everyone,,,, not musical myself :( ,,,,, maybe someday :)
Trying to repair wife's rosewood recorder. Cork strip at joint has partially become detached.
Cork appears in good shape and lines up properly but one end is hanging loose and needs new glue.
Wanted to know what type of glue to use. Did not want to damage fine instrument with wrong glue.
Read many different suggestions on internet,,, from contact cement, elmers, shellac glue??, dont know ???
I am an experienced woodworker and feel comfortable undertaking what appears a simple job.
I think a glue that could be removed, if needed, in the future.
What would a master repair technician use ??
Thanks for your help.

The short answer is contact cement for a quick temporary fix. Since whatever caused that part of the cork to fail is still present, the proper repair would be to remove the rest of the cork, clean the channel with naptha to remove the old adhesive, and apply a new cork using contact cement.

If the cork is peeling and you want to reglue part of it back, then IMO cotnact glue is often not a great glue for this. It is pretty lousy when there's some grease oil, which is likely to be there. I'd use super glue in this case, but have to be extremely careful with super glue not getting anywhere else.

When gluing a new cork, which is usually better than regluing the old peeling one, I'd use contact glue and IMO it is the best glue for this purpose.

If the cork is peeling and you want to reglue part of it back, then IMO cotnact glue is often not a great glue for this. It is pretty lousy when there's some grease oil, which is likely to be there. I'd use super glue in this case, but have to be extremely careful with super glue not getting anywhere else.

When gluing a new cork, which is usually better than regluing the old peeling one, I'd use contact glue and IMO it is the best glue for this purpose.

Personally I'd avoid the use of superglue for this, because if/when the entire joint needs re-corking it will be a major job to get the stuff off. The best course would be to re-cork the whole joint using contact adhesive, but if that's not practical then clean under the loose cork with alcohol or lighter fluid and then re-glue using contact adhesive. Coat both surfaces and then wait for about 5 minutes before actually positioning th cork in place.

Back
Top Bottom