Fair warning

The first picture gave me a good giggle.
I have a rotary dialed phone, land line, and I love it.
I only use my cell phone for work and contact with long distance friends. I usually make a 3 hour phone call once a week and that's it, other than that my phone gives me something dynamic to look at, when I was 15 all I had was a primitive electronic number game and a little box of board games, and I think I was happier than 90% of kids today - I can't imagine how much stress all of this social networking and electronic communication must be causing, adding on to the already difficult lifestyle provided by schools, etc.

The first picture gave me a good giggle.
I have a rotary dialed phone, land line, and I love it. (...) I can't imagine how much stress all of this social networking and electronic communication must be causing, adding on to the already difficult lifestyle provided by schools, etc.
I guess that owning (and using) a rotary dial phone accounts for "alternative lifestyle" these days, eh? :cool:

Sir Tux, yes, I believe most of the things I do account for an alternative lifestyle, and I'm not complaining. *tightens corset*

But what really intrigues me is the apps. A friend of mine recently found a girlfriend through a dating app, and I figured... well jeez... way to find another excuse to stay in and not go out to do things and meet people... it's like the digital world is another extra dimension. You can work at home, date at home, etc.
I'd still rather do things in reality. But at least the gal didn't turn out to be a dud...
I live most of my life on little adventures. Even when I was a wee little woman, I was one to explore the uncharted terrain. I'm not a hiker, don't get me wrong, but I have adventure in my soul... iStuff can't give me that!

My boss wants me to go hiking with him, sometime,primarily because I mentioned I used to do that fairly often in New York: there were a couple of nature preserves/hiking areas near where I lived. However, I now live in a state where the average summer temp. is well over 100. And he goes on 12+ mile hikes. I take, at most, 5 mile hikes.

He does take one electronic gizmo with him: a GPS. I prefe to think that no one knows where I am :).

My boss has one of those "camel pack" things for water.

===========

Related to my first post, the iPad 2 was introduced today. We had a couple techs watching the introduction and I heard one of 'em shout, "It's got 1080p!" That was one of the few things on my short list of things that I'd have liked my iPad to have.

About an hour later, when the iPad 2 was listed in the Apple Store, I found out the truth: the iPad 2 has 1080p video out. That means that IF you buy the appropriate cable AND you connect it to a monitor or projector that displays 1080p, you'll get the fancy video. I mentioned this to the tech and he said something along the lines of, "Yah. I found that out later, too."

So, that means that the chief differences between my iPad and the iPad 2 is that the iPad 2 has two cameras (video chat, for instance), it's a bit thinner and it's a bit faster. Great! Angry Birds can load 5 seconds faster!

Well, most of the pundits did say that the iPad 2 wasn't going to be an incredibly significant change. They were right. I was right when I said that they'd have a software update for my iPad, tho: should be out about the time the iPad 2 is (March 11).

Yah; Apple is going to have white and black. However, I'm not sure if that's just the bezel or the whole unit. My iPad has the black bezel, but the back's aluminum.

If the back is white, take it from someone who has had experience with Apple's white cases: don't buy one. Every scratch will be very, very apparent.

Not only are scratches apparent, the white cases also get dirty. I had a couple of white Mac Books, and slowly but surely they turned a dirty grey from day to day handling. You could clean them up, but they would just get dirty again.

Of course, many if not most will choose to keep their iPad in a case. That's where my lovely wife's has resided since the date of purchase, and it is scratch and dirt free despite almost constant handling.

We buy most of our cases from a Spanish firm Piel Frama, Pricy, but they are well designed and do the job.

Comment on the white cases and the Apple aluminum keyboard with white keys: a Magic Eraser (even the store brand) works extremely well to clean them.

I have a $6 rubber case for the back of "my" iPad and that seems to do well for everything except logging it around. For that, I have an extremely old Compaq mini-laptop case that fits just fine. I'd like to get a screen protector that's as good as the one on my iPhone, but I haven't found one, yet: the ones I've tried trap way too many air bubbles.

And will all those doodads prevent tooth marks from hungry kitties?

My boss has one of those "camel pack" things for water.

Camel Back is a brand name. I've used one of those for eons since they came out for cycling .. small, large, aero. I've had several of them.

They're great too if you happen to flip over the handlebars and land on your back .. makes the landing nice and cushioned.

Ogod. Should I drop the Benjamins on the consumer devices that I've grown up using and adore or should I drop them on Clarinet that I did not grow up learning...

Given what I require in computing, I need something a bit more powerful than the A4 running iPads... it's a bit of a shame. If I were to lug around a laptop and an iPad, it would defeat the purpose.

My current laptop runs its own discrete video card, is about 13.3", dualcore i7, 8GB of ram and weighs at 2kg. Such firepower is needed for productivity and (shamefully admitting) more intensive gaming needs.

iPad does excite me with the use of S-IPS, but the whole Apple ecosystem is so restrictive for me personally... and yes, as mentioned before with the way how one isn't really able to get Wacom/Cintiq like level of interaction with the device.

Ideally, I would love to work out of a better realized Asus EEE Transformer. Such a hybrid setup where the monitor is thin enough and possess enough color reproduction abilities to do some graphics work as you would Cintiq, coupled with a very robust and powerful base platform with a keyboard and discrete video chip would make it a killer for me.

Motorola's Atrix is really catching my eyes actually, although I am hoping for another official Google Nexus that would utilize either the new Hummingbird or Snapdragon or god forbid, Intel's Atom. I dislike the way how individual manufacturer is locking down their Android devices to the best of their abilities ...

(Although I still prefer my desktop...)

> Given what I require in computing ...

That's really the number 1 question. The reason why I can get along with my iPad is because I have three desktop computers. I can do all my high-powered stuff on my desktop(s) and if I just want to go mobile for a bit, I could take the iPad. It's a nice little gaming device that will keep my 7-year-old occupied on the flight to MI this summer.

What you'd rather have, Franklin, is a desktop replacement. There are laptops out there that can do that, but they're pricey.

Most of the people I work for/with don't need anything more powerful than a Pentium D. That's three processor "lives" and about six years ago. In other words, a computer equivalent to the last Dell Optiplex GX620s and the early Optiplex 745s. My local library has better computers than this. And they sell for around $100 on eBay. Y'know, they could easily use something earlier if they didn't "have to have" Office 2007.

The computer I have at home is an older Intel i7 that runs at 2.67ghz. I've had it for almost three years. The ONLY program that I use that really can use all the horsepower I've got is GIMP, the freeware Adobe Photoshop alternative. And I don't use it on a daily basis.

In other words, you want this. And get them to replace the hard drives with a couple SSDs. Except I hate Toshibas. I wouldn't turn one of these down, if someone wants to buy me one, but I don't like 'em. And for $1900, I can easily build a much faster desktop with better gizmos. And a larger monitor.

Back
Top Bottom