Fingering for written F# (sounded E)

Toby or any other taragot players, do you use the standard fingering for this note in both octaves? All charts show:

X X X 0 X 0

That works for me in the first octave, but in the second octave (using first octave key), that note always comes out a bit flat. So in the 2nd octave, I play the written F# (sounded "E") like this:

octave key + X X X X 0 0

Anyone else experience this?

George

On my Romanian rebuilt model the F# is fingered like an oboe (shown below) in both octaves, and both are in tune relative to each other. The F natural is another story. ;)

XXX|X00

On my Romanian rebuilt model the F# is fingered like an oboe (shown below) in both octaves, and both are in tune relative to each other. The F natural is another story. ;)

XXX|X00

Yeah, I could play it like that in the 1st octave as well, with minor embouchure adjustment. I'm just not sure how much of this is kosher.

xxx 0x0 has the advantage of faster switching between it and the forked key (RH index finger is already in the air when playing F#). Just from my limited experience with any reed instrument...

2nd octave, forget it. It's definitely xxx x00 for F#, and I don't care what any charts tell me:)

Then again, as I mentioned before, a fantastic Hungarian gypsy player told me that he had to find his own fingerings on his own instrument.

Back
Top Bottom