Fobes Nova vs 10K experience

Hello to all,

I am a newby on this forum, but I have been on the BBoard forum for a while now.
I registered here to, well to widen my horizon.
I am relatively new to playing the clarinet, still very much a beginner. But i have done a lot of reading on BBoard.
and I have made plenty of hours doing tone ladders, and am now confident at the lower end of the clarion scale...
unfortunately the higher end doesn't work for me, the reed just stops vibration around G5.
After some information I have (temporarly) concluded that this could be due to a relative (for me) too close opening on my Fobes Debut CF+
The instrument I am using is generally unfamiliar, but I (and my teacher) am very satisfied, both with the sound, tuning and mechanism.

Currently I am in contact with C. Fobes on upgrading my mouthpiece from his Debut to either a Nova or 10K.
As I live in europe, and there ssems to be no Fobes dealer here (UK, no longer being part of the EU since brexit)
I have the issue that I just can't go and try one.

Plenty (theoretically) Van Dorens to try, but also there is no shope close. so IMHO, I do not have enough testing experience in this field.

Never the less, my experience with the Fobes Debut, combined with the experience of C. Fobes himself, and future experience I tend on gaining when trying specific Vandoren MP's should give me a solid enough ground to make a fairly well educated guess on what kind of opening I should decide for.

But before I do this I would like to have some input from people who have used both the Nove as the 10K from fobes, to hear how they have experience the MP's for them.

I know this a very very abstract question, but hey, I have to start somewhere not.

Kind greats.

Matthieu

• I found this on the Fobes web site - you may want to do a trial and then decide if you want to buy one of his pieces:

• Trial Policy

I can send up to two mouthpieces and 2 barrels or extensions in one trial order. You must purchases all of the items first. You have 2 weeks to return them from the date I ship your package. If you do not purchase any of the trial items your trial fee is 5% of the...
  • Announcements

TRIAL POLICY Trials are for any 10K and CWF mouthpieces, wood products or Nova mouthpieces only. You must purchase trial items and then you will have 10 days to try them. There is a 5% trial fee not to exceed $25 if you do not wish to make a purchase. Refunds will be made upon...

• I am a C Fobes fan - I have a SF sop piece, BC piece & Contra Alto Piece

• Good luck

What reed are you using? I played a close facing in orchestras for years before needing something different. Voicing and range were easily controlled with the close facing but other aspects of performance were easier with a different facing. I'd suggest looking at your reeds as the mouthpiece has a fine reputation and I haven't poor range as a complaint.

BUT - I had a student who was having all kinds of problems with a highly regarded entry level mouthpiece by a major name. One of the rails was off and it caused all kinds of issues. It was a simple 20 second fix and all was good.

Things can get missed in quality control in the best of businesses.

@Bari Sax Guy: thank you, I did see that.

@ Carl H: I am using a Pilgenstorfer Dolce 3.0 (adviced by Clark), I have noticed a slight differencr between the right and left rail, besides that all seems fine. Anyway I will and go have a MP's check to see if I need a more open facing, or If I would need to learn to adjust my embouchure.

I will let you know later.

Kind greats

Matthieu

Back
Top Bottom