Hi from the Eastern NM, US

Hello from the Eastern side of New Mexico. I come from a military band background, with the Army in Hawaii in the early 1970's, then with several reservist bands, now retired. My specialties are clarinet and sax, I have all the saxes except the supranino, love jazz. I just found out about your forum today, and hope to be a contributing member, and look forward to meeting you all.

I have all the saxes except the supranino, love jazz.
Greetings. I love playing the sopranino, I have a lovely Yani that really speaks rather nicely. Do you have the soprillo, bass, and contrabass saxes too? What clarinets do you have? I only have the sop, alto, and bass clarinets and I don't get much call from them in my ensembles. But then I'm a hack on clarinet when compared to my ability to play sax.

I have two Bb Boosey & Hawkes Edgware wood Clarinets and my student model plastic 1965 LeBlanc Vito Clarinet. After researching various forum articles and discussions, decided on the Edware's because they could be had at reasonable prices, good for jazz. I bought each for several hundred bucks. One needs repair. Haven't invested in any of the special saxes you mentioned.

Having started on clarinet then transitioning to sax, I have found my ability to play either interchangeable.

My fav clarinet is a Buffet R13 Festival that is a hand-me-down from my wife, the real clarinet player in this family. But I have been known to sport this one just to scare the clarinet section. ;)

DSC00616.JPG

Back starting in early 1970's with the various active and reserve military bands, I was issued a Buffet Bb wood Clarinet or alternate manufacturer pro model, can't remember model details (was a while ago). When I left the units, returned the instruments back to them.

First band, they gave me a choice of the Buffet or Selmer, I chose the Buffet. In general, they also issued plastic student model clarinets to be used for outdoor inclimate weather (better to ruin a cheap instrument than a good one). They also issued us Selmer Mark VI saxes. We had student model saxes for the same reason.

They also issued us Berg Larson metal mouthpieces for the saxes, along with various plastic/hard rubber ones. Had to return the Berg Larson's, due to their higher cost even back then.

An odd thing, even though the wood clarinets were the then top of the line, (and this may be a thing about buying from the lowest bidder). The Buffets then played OK, but their intonation wasn't all that great. I had to play them in tune. It wasn't until the 1980's, I was making up drills with a reserve band in the 'Frisco Bay area, was temporarily issued a new Bundy plastic clarinet. It was one of the first clarinets I played that actually played in tune throughout its range.

Go figure. o_O

Gandalfe has a F Mezzo. I'm currently looking at a pic of his F Mezzo hanging over my desk. It's from my old calendar projects.

There are a lot of odd saxophones out there, so I'm 100% sure that nobody has the full range of the entire family.

Reactions: JfW
Back
Top Bottom