"How Many of You Are There in the Quartet?"

A band I played with did the Corn Festival in Taber, Alberta one year. They featured bossy-bingo, a huge bingo card drawn out in chalk in the middle of the street. Several cows were walking around the card. When they did their thing, that was the number that was counted.

Then we played in an ice-hockey arena somewhere in Montana. Terrible acoustics and the players were slamming into the boards all night.

Maybe the best of all was when we played a Roller Derby show at the Olympic Auditorium in L.A. one year.

Desmond's story was a good one. DAVE

I played an unusual venue at a jazz festival in Helena, MT. We were outdoors under a freeway bridge. Very interesting accoustics and ambience, particularly when the big trucks went over.

The date fell on my 50th birthday. It made me wonder how long I would have to perform before I had paid enough dues to allow me to veto such engagements.

Al: I recall you saying you'd played the Sacramento Jubilee (correct?). Their Freeway Gardens venue was under I-5 as it passed by Old Town Sacramento. Now THAT was cavernous and noisy beyond description. I played it once and never returned to it even if one of my favorite groups was there.

I suspect that's where Don West (the originator of the Helena festival) came up with his idea of a jazz venue in Helena. Otherwise, I always enjoyed Helena. Neat town. DAVE

Al: I recall you saying you'd played the Sacramento Jubilee (correct?). Their Freeway Gardens venue was under I-5 as it passed by Old Town Sacramento. Now THAT was cavernous and noisy beyond description. I played it once and never returned to it even if one of my favorite groups was there.

I suspect that's where Don West (the originator of the Helena festival) came up with his idea of a jazz venue in Helena. Otherwise, I always enjoyed Helena. Neat town. DAVE

I played Sacramento several times. We didn't play the freeway venue, however.

I enjoyed Helena, too, other than for that one venue. My brother and his kids came over from Missoula to help me celebrate my 50th.

I've lived in NJ my whole life and never knew there was an "Orange County" here.

Guess they drank a lot back then.....

Julian

I thought that this was gonna be a thread about stupid questions you've been asked (yes, there are such things as stupid questions), but gig horror stories are always fun. It's the musical version of the FAIL blog.

Back
Top Bottom