Instrument Stands

So after much booze this evening, I'm being the true band nerd and have been thinking about pit orchestra's for the last 2 hours, as well as big band.
Typically when I'm doing pits, I'm either Reed 1 or Reed 4/5. Usually the low ones because I'm one of a handful that own and are proficient on the low reeds. With Reed one this isn't a problem as I've made my own piccolo, flute and clarinet stand out of a wooden footstool so that they are a bit higher off the ground. Goes between my knees and I have great access without having to reach to the floor.
Problem comes mainly with bari sax in the low reeds as well as in big band. I love my Saxrax but the bullhorn is a bit awkward with minimal wiggle room. Just wondering what you guys use.

I have a saxrax bass sax stand. It's a very stable, lightweight stand. Here's the problem:

When used for baritone sax in a show, the Saxrax baritone stand, which is the same as the bass sax stand, takes up a huge "footprint" in the pit. It will piss off everyone else in the pit, and it could get you fired. Also, the "horns" on the horseshoe for the bell flare are way too high. You have to lift the horn an extra six to eight inches to get it on and off the stand. It may not seem like much, but when you have a four beat switch to another instrument in a show, it's everything.

To Saxrax's credit, I told them about the horns on the horseshoe, and I think, judging by photos I've seen, that they shortened the horns, but not enough.

The other problem, the footprint, doesn't apply to the alto and tenor stands, only the bari/bass stand. If they want me to play bass sax, I suppose I could insist on more floor space, but I don't because I want to get hired again. If you think every venue will treat you like a rock star and give you unlimited space, think again.

Depends on the show and the associated doubles.

When I did The Producers, I played bari in stand - but it was a Hamilton with the collar on the bell, and wheels. That way I could roll the bari sideways to get the bassoon in position.

I'm expecting a new bassoon support next week which could be interesting. It's a leg rest. No seat strap, no neck strap.

West Side Story this year, I used a Saxrax bass stand, and had no problem getting the horn in and out of the stand. Played it on a harness, never on the stand.

I use Jay Easton's method of tipping the bari stand. I've seen him do it the bass too. But I know of no cure for the lack of floorspace for the guys who play 4 to 6 instruments.

Update, this is how I do it in a pit. Otherwise I just swap intruments normally.

Last edited:
For bari I've used the K&M stand stand for more than 10 years. I have 2 actually: 1 for my Bb horn, and 1 for my low A bari. They are excellent stands, and quite stable. Very easy to get the horn in and out of. Perfect for quick changes, since I tend to double on bari when I play it in a band.

Ya, I have one of the older Saxrax, the non adjustable ones and the bullhorns are HUGE. I've been using a standard K&M type deally in the pit, but maybe the Hamilton is a good idea. I know all about taking up minimal space, it's a pain, but I have had a couple buddies get fired for it. Won't make that mistake. Luckily I've done enough to where I have my placements on both sides of my and in the middle and it's almost all muscle memory at this point. Doing shows with bari, bass clarinet, and bassoon are a little ugly, but those two shows I was lucky enough to where the first three reeds crammed in pretty tight for me.

The footprint of the saxrax was the second issue as I know they are huge. I can't use it in the big band settings either because of it. I was just wondering what the other stand options were. Once the saxrax came out it seemed that there was no other option for bari/bass stands and that you were insane to use anything else. Guess it's back to the drawing board or a trip somewhere to test new stands.
Thanks guys

I know all about taking up minimal space, it's a pain, but I have had a couple buddies get fired for it.

I have never heard of anything like that happening. Not even in amateur/community productions.

Certainly not in professional theatre. The personal services contracts we sign very clearly spell out the conditions the theatre must provide in the way of storage, security, warm-up areas, and performing space.

I guess fired was the wrong word. More like not rehired for more shows. They have rested the same from tuba players and what not. Some of the bass players are required to play electric instead of upright because of space as well.
The guys I know were asking for way too much room though. Cases by their chairs, various other things that weren't really acceptable. These aren't union gigs though, so there's no real signed contracts

The horns on the saxrax horseshoe can be shortened. Carefully peel off the rubber covering, cut some of the metal ends off the horseshoe, shorten the rubber covering, and glue it all back together. I think I cut 3 inches off the ends of my stand and it's still as safe as before.

Back
Top Bottom