Keep the inside of your instrument clean - Lung Disease problems

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
This just popped up in my Facebook News Feed so I thought I would share it
http://today.uconn.edu/2010/09/wind-instruments-may-cause-lung-disease-in-musicians/

Essentially reviewing someone that had lung issues directly correlated to playing their trombone.
Yes, we know, it's a trombone. But you can correlate the problem to any wind instrument. And even then so, think about woodwind instruments that use an organic cane reed which can harbor even other things in it.

Do you ever keep using a reed even after it starts getting dingy?
have you ever looked into your instrument and seen green stuff in there ?

Then when we think of how many times we've seen an instrument that has green junk inside
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/study-brass-wind-instruments-allergic-lung-disease/story?id=11569520

I've always tried to keep my instruments as clean as possible.

Trombones, trumpets, French horns, etc all can harbor a variety of junk. If you take your musical instrument to a well equipped shop then can easily do a "flush" which cleans out the instrument.

For brass and woodwinds it's different.
Saxophones, made of brass, are easier to clean. As you can take the keywork off and do the same flush brass instruments go through.
You can even clean a saxophone yourself fairly easily as it's all easy accessible (and viewable) versus trombone etc.

We've all seen cleaning devices like this http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...itd0-C_t--Tplg43erz73khq_OoUZy2TXXRoCiYPw_wcB
J13360000000000-00-250x250.jpg

They make shorter ones for saxophone necks, etc. But just using these will keep things from building up.
Then using liquids that will sanitize will also help. For instance mouthwash I actually use to sanitize mouthpieces.
You can also put some on piece of paper towel and pull through a sax neck or push through with one of the flexible cleaners. then repeat with water then a clean cloth.

Wood instruments are a little more picky. But still easily cleanable.
Clarinets can be cleaned easily as swabs are used all the time. just make sure you dry them out consistently.
Oboes start getting a bit harder, and bassoons are more difficult (I don't know anything about bassoons so consult a tech about those).

Oh my gosh, playing the french horn would be a nightmare. That thing is...crazy. Like crazier than the inside of a rackett!

Recently I picked up the oboe, and will now be playing that for college (instead of the bassoon, yes... Sad in a way, but a lot happened) and I'm actually relieved at how convenient it is to swab, but I guess so much more care is needed. Double reeds in general mold too easily, too. Yuck.

Oh my gosh, playing the french horn would be a nightmare. That thing is...crazy. Like crazier than the inside of a rackett!

Recently I picked up the oboe, and will now be playing that for college (instead of the bassoon, yes... Sad in a way, but a lot happened) and I'm actually relieved at how convenient it is to swab, but I guess so much more care is needed. Double reeds in general mold too easily, too. Yuck.

I think I'll clean my French Horns this weekend. I always keep the mouthpieces cleaned but I know there's some green stuff in the slides that I've been ignoring.

Back
Top Bottom