Longest time on a setup?

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
So I'm curious to hear about what's the longest time anyone has spent with the same horn, mouthpiece, and reed combination.

For me, other than when I was a student, I would say it's been a couple of years on my Selmer Mark VI tenor, modified Otto Link 7* hard rubber, and Vandoren ZZ reeds. I have changed ligs a couple of times.

Ed Svoboda said:
So I'm curious to hear about what's the longest time anyone has spent with the same horn, mouthpiece, and reed combination.

Roughly three weeks. Then I had to take a fresh reed. :D

Very slick. I was afraid someone would take me literally on the reed.

I'm thinking more about reed brand and strength than a single reed.

Let's see. 1988 through approximately 1995 (or so), for my YBS-52, Rascher mouthpiece, and Vandoren 3.5 Modele Jazz reeds. I may have replaced the neckstrap a couple times and also used a Berg Larsen 110/0 hard rubber mouthpiece for some jazz gigs.

Same reeds, except if I had to play multiple horns for a gig, then I used Rico Plasticover 3.5s. If I couldn't get my Vandorens, I used whatever was cheap.

Oh. Stock metal ligs on both, most of the time. Sometimes used a Rovner-like one on the Rascher. Gigliotti on the Berg, just for kicks.

I owned my other horns for far less time.

89 to 07 on the same clarinet, mpc and reed combo. Tried a few ligs but no changes till 07 when I switched everything, but the reeds.

THEN
81 - 97 on my Selmer VII alto and Selmer C** mpc .. always used Hemke reeds .. except for that box or two of Omegas I always was tempted at using

78-2004 - my Normandy clarinet, OEM mpc, and Mitchell Laurie reeds.

But I still have all the same stuff, just don't use the Selmer mpc much anymore nor my 1st clarient or the Superba2 tenor much anymore

still use my Couf tenor mpc too from 1982 but not as the sole mpc

NOW
same Selmer mk VII alto - Selmer D mpc (mostly), Couf 6R (alot), 5R

Selmer CT, Buffet R13 & Leblanc LL clarinets (still have the Normandy)
various mpcs
Vandoren Traditional or the old purple boxes & Mitchell Lauries

Selmer mk VII tenor - replaced Couf Superba 2
various mpcs including : Selmer D & G classical metal, Couf 6R, J8R, Selmer D & 1982 Couf Artist 4**** streamlined (the Link Killer !!)

I'm happy with my setups, though looking at replacing the CT with a Series 9
also wouldn't mind having a mid 1960's R13

I've been using my Chu alto, Link STM, and Rico Royal 3 reeds for almost 6 years now. I have tried the Jazz Selects, and Alexander DC's when there was a sale on them, but overall I'm happy with the RR's. My soprano setup is almost as old.

Same baritone set up since 1972. Low A MKVI, Meyer HR7, rico royal 3. So that's what, like 36 years? My alto setup is very consistant mouthpiece wise, the same otto link HR7* since 1980, but a few different horns. A MKVI from '80 till '96, another MKVI from '96 till '03, and a Reference from '03 till now. My reed is a Java 3, I can't remember when I started using this.

My first tenor sax mp was a Link STM perfected by Merlin. I've tried a bunch of others, but I always end up back with the Link after a while. It's made a comeback lately since being paired with a FL lig!

R.

My first tenor sax mp was a Link STM perfected by Merlin. I've tried a bunch of others, but I always end up back with the Link after a while. It's made a comeback lately since being paired with a FL lig!

R.

Shhhhh....now everyone will want one!

Back
Top Bottom