Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Martin Freres Flute

Anyone ever heard of Martin Freres? I did some research and only found that it was around 1800 and 1900, but can't find any other useful information.

Anyone ever heard of Martin Freres? I did some research and only found that it was around 1800 and 1900, but can't find any other useful information.

Martin Freres made a decent but not spectacular line of student clarinets about 30 years ago. I had one. I imagine that their flutes are the same. Any particulars you can give? Any pix?

I was looking for a project flute to practice oiling and repairs on and found this one on Craigs list:

3na3o93l5ZZZZZZZZZ95c469dde6422aa15.jpg

I am planning on going this weekend and seeing it. It looks like it doesn't need that much work, but I'm having second thoughts about it.

I am planning on going this weekend and seeing it. It looks like it doesn't need that much work, but I'm having second thoughts about it.

If I am correct and there is a collar ring on the headjoint it would indicate a flute made before 1930 or so. That is not necessarily bad. I saw a MF flute in good condition on eBay for around $90 (apparently playable). To be brutally honest, I wouldn't pay more than about $50 (if that) for the one in the picture.

Toby

Ah ok. Well, I was kinda on the fence. I guess I won't bother with it then. Thanks for the advice!

Martin Frères

J. Donjon (1839-1912) Étude n. 3 "Le chant du vent" Flute Martin Frères
Simple System 8 - Key
http://flautottocento.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/j-donjon-Étude-n-3.mp3

They were definitely around longer than 1900. Manufacturing instruments, I don't know, but they stenciled a bunch of saxophones.

Early Martin Freres 8-key flutes were very decent. But AFAIK they never made high-quality Boehm instruments.

Back
Top Bottom