Mouthpiece advice

I've been playing Vandoren Classic B45 since forever. My current one is getting a bit worn, so I'm looking for a new one.
Does anybody have some advice on mouthpieces that I can use that are similar? Or tell me what I should look for?
The B45 is a good alround mouthpiece, but I want to see if my tone and articulation can improve with another model.

Brand does not really matter. Just looking to get a selection of mouthpieces that I can try out.
I'm currently playing number 3 Vandoren reeds if that's helpful too.

That is a good question. I am less familiar with what is currently available as my primary instruments now are the saxes. When I was prolific with the clarinet with the various military bands until 25 years ago, (still using my old mouthpieces with my private instruments), we had access from the best to low cost mouthpieces (at band expense).

Vandoren has a comparison chart of their different models and facings of clarinet mouthpieces and recommended reed sizes:

Vandoren Paris: Clarinet Mouthpieces Comparison

For what it is worth back then for me, were the less expensive generic brand called "Brillhardt". These were designed by Arnold Brillhardt, I think marketed by Rico, the reed manufacturer. Just about all the music stores sold them then. It appears these have morphed into the Rico Royal Graftonite series, which are still his designs. They are about 1/5th the cost of your Vandoren. There are 7 faces to choose from.

Opinions vary, depending on who you speak with. Some are open and honest, whereas others tend to interject their own personal prejudices and swear "anathema" to not even touch them.

However, as of then and still now, they still seem to be decent mouthpieces. I am using a Graftonite B5 on my baritone saxophone, it is very free breathing and with the right reed, I can easily hit the bass notes as well as the "falsetto" (altissimo fingerings beyond normal playing range indicated in basic fingering charts). On my Bb soprano sax, I am using a Graftonite B5, it is very free blowing with very good projection.

Because of their lower cost, one can try different faces to find the one they like best. Then, based on the face, purchase an upgraded mouthpiece with similar face characteristics.

I think they are now sold under the brand D'Addario. They seem to have some interesting mouthpieces. I think I'll just order some of the standard Vandoren ones and some of the lesser known brands and just keep what I like. :)

I changed from a B45 to a Fobes 'Sanfransisco CF+" and found the change to be effortless and my tone considerably improved. I've also had good results with mouthpieces from Brad Behn.

I tried ~ a dozen mouthpieces, including VanDoren and D'Addrio. The Fobes SF was the clear winner.
I found one on EBay for the BC, but had to pay big $$ for a Conta Alto SF Piece.

A decade ago, I bought a Rico Royal Graftonite C5 Tenor Sax mouthpiece, but could not get any of my tenor sax reeds to sound decent on it. It had a very wide face on it, so I left it in my other sax case. Then some time later just for the kicks, put a bari sax reed on it. Now it played! Apparently the way that the face had been milled, its geometry was better suited for the longer cut of the bari reed.

It is the only Graftonite I have had problems with using native reeds. (May be now they fixed it, I really don't know.)

The B5 Bari, B5 Soprano and C5 Alto work fine for me. For the Alto, I prefer my Selmer S90.

One mouthpiece that was a disappointment was a Chinese crafted classic Berg Larson look alike chrome plated brass tenor sax mouthpiece. I really shouldn't complain, because I bought it for under $50 US on an Internet auction site. (The Classic Berg Larson now cost between $500 - $600 US).

It just didn't have the projection as I remembered with one I had a while back in the 1970's. Also, the cheap chrome plating pealed off the brass on the part where my lips embrace it.

I used to have an instructor who had boxes of mouthpieces. When I need one, I worked my way through his suggestions until I found one I liked. Everyone is different so you really want to try them first. And when you have many saxes/clarinets (soprillo, sopranino, alto, tenor, bari, and bass saxes, sop, alto, bass clarinets) ... well, let's just say the calculation gets much more interesting. I actually have different maker favs on each instrument!!! But they might not work for you.

I live in Belgium, Fobes is not really a common brand over here. Don't really know why, but it's not available on my usual webshops.
My plan is to just order a set and send back what doesn't work. They have a 30 day return policy.

I understand, you have to work with what is practically available at your locale.

10 years ago, I was on-line ordering items from EU. This includes hard to get motorcycle parts for my vintage 1971 Honda and aftermarket accessories for my 1987 Suzuki. A shop in Netherlands sold on-line a nice chromed package rack for the Suzuki, not available locally. Another shop in Netherlands bought out NOS (New but Old unsold Stock) original manufacturer parts from various locations, became the vintage go-to parts store for older motorcycles. Then, shipping costs and times were very reasonable.

Since, shipping costs have escallated tremendously. Sometimes there are significant customs clearance delays. Thus, I now limit myself to ordering within US and in a few instances, from Canada (for items available nowhere else) and China (inexpensive items I can wait out shipping delays).

Regarding the Rico Graftonite and Metalite mouthpieces, here is a table of dimensions put together by now closed website, Doctor Sax that I did a PDF print in 2015 as an attachment. For quick viewing, here it is in JPG, clarinet is in the lower left of the page:

2015-11-11 Rico Graftonite Metalite Dims3.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-11-11 Rico Graftonite Metalite Dims.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 69
After some searching I've found that the DAddario Reserve EV10E M is a good fit for me. It's more direct than my old B45 and just gives a better overall sound.
It somehow feels a bit lighter, so I'm able to use a bit harder reeds. I've paired it with a new Vandoren Optimum Ligature.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom