My End of The Patricola Story

Texas . . . second worst place I have lived. :emoji_smile:

Alabama was the worst.

I think I'm just a midwest guy although southern California was really nice when I was there. I loved the Malibu area but I don't have that kind of money. :D

I had a Yamaha 62 from the beginning of the run that was a great horn. I suspect that you can find a used one near the price range you are looking. A Yanagisawa 880 or even 901 might be found in that same range on the used market. I really like the yani altos (and baritones).

I believe the competition from China and Taiwan has only made the new Yamahas better than ever. Not only the saxophone models. I just acquired a custom clarinet that plays more in tune than any of the French or Italian instruments I've ever played. And their motorcycles and audio equipment - - - - - !!

custom clarinet

I believe the competition from China and Taiwan has only made the new Yamahas better than ever. Not only the saxophone models. I just acquired a custom clarinet that plays more in tune than any of the French or Italian instruments I've ever played. And their motorcycles and audio equipment - - - - - !!

Hi Martinm,

What kind of custom clarinet did you get? I'm curious about these special instruments. It seems that you can get a good instrument for less than the brand names. My Brother-in-law is in the market for a clarinet but he doesn't have much money.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, there is a difference among various Asian-made instruments (Japan, Taiwan, China, Vietnam; throw India into the mix as well although I am NOT claiming India is or is not in Asia). I merely wrote "Taiwan/Chinese" as a simple way of describing the two source-countries and in no way meant to lump them all together.

I also think the build-quality is coming closer together when evaluating instruments from all over Asia (maybe not so much India, but I bet the Indian-made instruments will improve over time). It all depends on which factory put out which model based on what orders from which distributor.

I played one alto saxophone with a brand-name that had been roundly booed on that other site (no Steve, you will not see me there) and the horn was to die-for. True, the owner had technical skills and re-built the whole horn before I played it, but it just showed me that a saxophone is a saxophone and one makes it what it is.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of the Kessler. DAVE

Hi Martinm,

What kind of custom clarinet did you get? I'm curious about these special instruments. It seems that you can get a good instrument for less than the brand names. My Brother-in-law is in the market for a clarinet but he doesn't have much money.

Thanks,
Steve
All the Custom models from Yamaha are excellent. You have to try to know which one you prefer. I tried them all, and just when I thought I found which one I liked the most..... I played another and changed my mind.... and again..... and again....

Yes, there is a difference among various Asian-made instruments (Japan, Taiwan, China, Vietnam; throw India into the mix as well although I am NOT claiming India is or is not in Asia). I merely wrote "Taiwan/Chinese" as a simple way of describing the two source-countries and in no way meant to lump them all together.

I also think the build-quality is coming closer together when evaluating instruments from all over Asia (maybe not so much India, but I bet the Indian-made instruments will improve over time). It all depends on which factory put out which model based on what orders from which distributor.

I played one alto saxophone with a brand-name that had been roundly booed on that other site (no Steve, you will not see me there) and the horn was to die-for. True, the owner had technical skills and re-built the whole horn before I played it, but it just showed me that a saxophone is a saxophone and one makes it what it is.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of the Kessler. DAVE

Hi Dave,

I meant saxontheweb forum. Not the saxophoneforum. I thought I saw your name on that board or I might have been mistaken. I figure I should have the Kessler by next Tuesday I'm excited about it.

My only fear is that my sight transposing is going to be limited for awhile when playing duets with my wife (Trumpet) but that will be overcome. At least I hope so :). But there is always the Clarinet eh?

Steve

Hi Martinm,

Thanks,
Steve
Custom is just the Yamaha name for their top-line, factory made instruments. They're more reasonably priced than comparable Buffets (now the Buffet mafia will be after me), but still not cheap.

Retread: Although I love my Buffets and have never played anything better, I agree that Yamaha makes a fine clarinet. I once borrowed a high-end Yamaha clarinet from a fellow musician for a set at a festival while a local tech replaced a spring on my Buffet. The Yamaha was VERY nice, but I don't recall the model designation.

I tried to give Yamahas a good testing at the last NAMM show I attended but alas, a loud electric band cranked up right next to the clarinet display which rendered ALL testing finished.

If I were in need of a new clarinet, I'd certainly give the Yamahas (and the Patricolas) serious consideration.

I wasn't sure whether Martin meant the Yamaha "CUSTOM" line or merely was mentioning a custom-made clarinet of some unknown brand - he did not capitalize the word CUSTOM.

Steve, I knew the forum you mentioned. I used to actively participate but gave it up a while back. 'Nuff said about that. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom