Need Help please identifying this Oboe

Hi everyone
could you help me to identify the maker of this Oboe please? It's wood with nickel-plated keys, open hole, thumb plate system. The case looks like Buffet, it has 4 digits 8721. Looks like it has some age to it. Dying to find out who the maker is.

thumbnail_Image (32).jpg

Any help much appreciated!
Denise

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image (30).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (30).jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the serial number in this thread, I'd suggest Buffet. However, the keywork on your horn is significantly different and I'm not an oboe expert. Interesting you don't have any stamp on the bell.

When I first saw this I went looking for old Buffet PDF Catalogs or even Shreiber. Didn't find any with open keyed oboes.

I don't know if Buffet, at some point *recently*, made a "Boehm" oboe ... aka, open hole ringed keywork like a clarinet. I know they made them in the past ... like a long time ago. But the one in the picture does not look like a vintage one.

The Boehm oboe (that's what I call it) was an evolutionary step in the modern oboe.

Of course, the normal questions come to mind like
where did you buy it
what was it sold to you as (ie, did the previous owner know much about it - can you ask the previous owner ??)

I know about 12 years ago when I was trying my hand at oboes, the open hole boehm ones were going for cheap. I wanted one because it was like a clarinet. But value-wise it won't be as much as a normal keyed oboe.

Back
Top Bottom