"New" Blog/Websiteage

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.thesax.info/photoblog/

I decided to post here, because I'm going to be a bit "general" in a minute.

I've mentioned to a couple of folks that I have a problem falling asleep. One of the ways I've tried to combat this is to sit down and put my feet up, listen to some relaxing music and check out a website that doesn't require me to invest much, in terms of brainpower. The 'sites I mainly browse are the National Geographic picture posts and/or ICanHasCheezburger (yes, from the sublime to the ridiculous). After I had done this for about a week, I asked myself what I really liked about them. My main answers were "pretty and/or amusing pics" and "really short commentary." I wondered if I could do that on the sax side. Hey, I've often said I just like the pretty pictures. So, that's what that new blog will be. Maybe :).

=======

I invested a load of time to get everything set up nicely on the blog. I'm not that good at web design, but I wanted something that would be visually appealing on a big computer screen, a "standard size" computer screen and on a tablet -- particularly my iPad. It took me about two weeks to find one. The "back end" is still Wordpress, but the layout is the Eclipse Free theme. It's pretty simple to use and it's got some bells-and-whistles I might actually use. Hey, I'm actually thinking of shelling out cash for the paid-for version because it's got a few things that are are also pretty kewl.

The next thing was to try to get all the pictures in there. This was actually a lot more complicated than you'd think.

On WordPress, the #1 picture gallery plug-in is NextGen Gallery. I think it's fairly easy to use and it has some great features, but it doesn't have a feature that I'd think would be something someone would request: I want it that you click on a pic and you go to a gallery of pics. I spent a few hours researching this and trying out various hacks. I finally said, "I could code a page in 10 minutes that could do this! I'll go back to the built-in gallery and use that, instead!" I did that and found that I didn't need to do any coding: that function's built into the WordPress gallery. Not only that, but picture captions with links are also fairly easy to do.

The last problem I have is that it still does take a couple hours to build a single page. This is primarily because I'm playing around with SEO ("Search Engine Optimization") stuff. While it's partially automatic, there are still a lot of things I've gotta type in.

Well, enjoy!

This is quite lovely Pete. I take it this is in addition to your Gallery3 site.

Thanks and yes.

While I do enjoy the idea of a gallery for a gallery's sake, I think I have enough bon mots about enough horns that the idea of a picture gallery with very short commentary would be a good thing. Additionally, because this is WordPress-based, I can get more traffic/exposure. While I don't particularly care if I'm popular, I'd really like folks to see some of these horns, especially because it's now becoming "last chance to see" for some of them.

Speaking of "last chance to see," my upcoming post will be on the Conn New Wonder "II" silver-plated family. While I could easily find replated examples of any member of the family (including the 16V Sarrusophone), it was really hard to find good examples with original plating, especially if I wanted big pics. This is a bit interesting because, when I started saxpics.com some 13 years ago, there were much fewer vintage horns on teh Interwebs and teh Interwebs were much smaller, yet I still found a lot of uncommon horns. Today, horns that were as numerous as the old Conns are getting hard to find in original condition.

I'm probably going to have to give up on my search for a post-s/n 220xxx baritone -- the one with the same-side bell keys -- and post a replated one.

If you're looking for New Wonder Series II silver plate pics, I have a lovely C mel (straight neck) that I got from the original owner. You've got the pics on your computer, but I can send you the larger ones if you're interested. You'll have the 1000px or 750 px wide optimized versions. I can optimize the larger ones for you and leave them on my server for you somewhere if you like. If you're really fussy, I can also reshoot it on a different colour background. :-D

I'd love the pics. You don't have to reshoot or resize. I'm really not doing too much of that: I'm letting WordPress handle the heavy lifting.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom