Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

New Forum Software Survey -- Please Participate!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by pete, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Now that I'm finally finished studying for my last computer certification -- I passed the exam today -- I can turn my attention to other things, one of which is upgrading our forum software. The software we currently use, vBulletin 4, is no longer being developed, but security updates are still available. This means that we have some time to evaluate other stuff on the market. My current favorites, in no particular order, are:

* vBulletin 5
    * XenForo (this is what Pete Thomas uses)
    * phpBB (they're coming out with a major update, 3.2, soon)

Feel free to suggest something else. If you just have a feature you'd like us to have, please post that! Don't worry about cost.

Thanks!

EDIT: for more forums, take a look at the Wikipedia article.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Helen

Helen Content Expert Saxophones Staff Member Administrator

Huh, I guess I should have realized that there are multiple forum software systems people are using these days. I remember a time when everyone's forums looked the same... Ah yes... I feel like I should be in a museum....

3. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Kudos Pete on your adding to your extensive list of computer certs, very impressive. Part of me dreads moving to new forum software, I've pretty much sussed this one out. But I understand the need to keep up with technology, if not just for security concerns. Plus [MENTION=140]pete[/MENTION] is very careful in his rollouts. It will be interesting to see if [MENTION=232]saxhound[/MENTION] has any observations, having been an IT guy back in the day.

4. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I can't say I have any expertise in this area. The closest I came was managing a few SharePoint implementations, but even that was more from the infrastructure side than development. I do like the look of XenForo. phpBB always seems too busy looking when I hit one of their sites.

5. Gandalfe

6. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

Sometimes I feel like a frog playing a saxophone
  7. Gandalfe

Right that's option two, XenForo that Pete mentioned below.

8. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

Sometimes I feel like a frog playing a saxophone
    With all of your horns I think you qualify as a museum lol :)

okay, I never checked what the site is run with. But I like the look and feel and features.

9. retread

retread

Just one request: please don't choose a format that would confuse those of us who would need intensive study to become computer semi-literate.

10. pete

That's the fun part of being a tech, retread!

11. pete

Added link to the Wikipedia page for forum software comparison. Looks like Wordpress has one available. That's definitely something I'll take a peek at.

12. pete

First, responding to myself, I wasn't terribly impressed with the WordPress forums I saw. Looked kinda ... early 1990s.

Second, I think I'll let this run for about a month or so. This month, I work weekends and I've got a business trip, too, so I won't really be around to actually do a forum switch ... and I'd like to see if more than 9 other people and me care :p. I might do a poll, if I see that folks are gravitating around one platform or another. I can say that unless I'm just overly wowed by a free product and/or there is some strong community support for something, we're going to go with a paid-for product. As Gandalfe mentioned, it's for the support.

13. pete

OK, then. I think we're more-or-less in agreement that Xenforo is our choice.

The first or second week of August, I'm planning on taking a week off, so that's when I plan to start playing with new software. That doesn't mean that we're going to migrate at that time. It means that I'll be setting up a test forum and see how importing data goes.

There will be at least one more upgrade to our current vBulletin software in the somewhat near future. It's a planned bugfix release. That means that I'll have time to play with the new stuff before the old stuff is no longer supported. That's, quite literally, the perfect time to do an upgrade.

14. pete

Alea iacta est. Xenforo and its associated gallery plugin have been purchased!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our staff's websites: