New Project: Timeline

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I had the idea clanking around in my head for awhile, but I didn't have the appropriate software available. Now I do. Check it out: http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/14431/Saxophone-Models-Timeline/

I've just played with it for a little bit, so don't expect perfection. It's also set to "Category Bands" mode, just because. The little "thought bubbles" open and there's a "More -->" button. Press the button and get some additional info in a "pop up," usually some serial number info. There's a "Find out more" button that'll take you to my blog, saxpics.com or someplace else.

This grew out of something I was doing on my blog: I'd talk about (say) the Mark VI and wanted to list all the other horns that were available at the same time. Unfortunately, the start/end dates made it difficult. As an example, "Hmm. The Buffet Dynaction came out in 1950 and was around until 1957. The Mark VI came out in 1954, so should I mention just the Buffet Dynacton or the Dynaction and SuperDynaction?"

There are some obvious problems with this time-line setup, such as what will happen if I have a hundred makes and models (which is why I turned off "Duration View" mode), but I still think it's pretty kewl.

I can create only one timeline for free and I'm the only one that can play with it. There is a paid version that allows people to collaborate, which I think could also be pretty kewl. I could also put in patents and stuff. Fun for research!

What do y'all think?

With my iPad 3G connection the action isn't smooth. Would be cool with touch link to your articles with pics, or is that the plan. Suzy was sitting next to me while I was navigating the site and she thought it looked interesting.

That's somewhat the idea. I could also embed some pictures, but, again, that's one of those, "Nice idea, but the pics will end up being two pixels tall if I put in a lot of makes/models."

I think I've done all Conns and Bueschers up until the 1960s. I've got a few Leblancs, Buffets, Selmers, Martins and HN Whites listed.

Allow me to mention an improvement that'd be very welcome: the items on the timeline are called "stories." You can edit them, but it's not just double-click: it's go to the non-alphabetical admin list of stories, find it in the list and hit "edit." I'm not sure if the folks that came up with the timeline software did that way because of the limitations of Javascript, though.

I think this is an interesting piece of software. I see this has real potential to be interestingly interactive for websites. (Like it is on one of the samples the company gives, where it is embedded into the header of a site.) Personally, because I don't own what I create per say, I wouldn't put more into it than I would be prepared to lose--since it's so new. I wonder how long it will be around, or if it be will bought up by another company that does away with the free stuff that someone has created.

As far as your chart goes Pete, I liked it. It's very colourful though my friend. Those are more colours I'd pick. What's up with that? ;)

Don't forget to add all the German manufacturers that I have dates for (Hammerschmidt, D&J, et.al.).

Oh, I'm hopening for more info!

I can easily play with the colors. It's your standard hexadecimal set of colors. I did find, though, that if the color is too bright, it washes out the text, thus the semi-dark colors I used.

I'm going to play with the Timeline for awhile, finish off my Selmer Mark VI ranting (thinking about talking bass, next. I've heard that the SBA bass was sold quite far into the VI serial range, then they had a standard one and then they improved it), and branch into something I know little about: Italian saxophones. However, I'm going to see how well that competes for my attention: I'd like to write something about clear "plastic" horns.

Back
Top Bottom