New to Oboe

I mainly play sax, and attempt to play clarinet (among many other instruments), but I recently bought a second-hand Boosey Regent Oboe out of curiosity. It's in quite good condition and I've given it a good clean but I'm still awaiting reeds to try it out.

Meanwhile I've noticed that the lowest key doesn't quite close without quite some pressure on the lever. The key itself CAN close and I'm wondering whether there is supposed to be a cork on the mechanism on the lower joint to close the gap and refine the action there? It seems that a small cork layer might well sort the problem.

I've done a bit of sax re-work so I have a bit of understanding of the mechanics of these instruments.

BTW is there a list of serial numbers and dates for Boosey Oboes? Mine is 437069 and I believe it is about 1976.

As a ww doubler I studied (took lessons, practiced-a-ton, made my own reeds, etc.) oboe back in the 80's.
When I went to my lesson every two weeks my teacher (a professional oboist) would take 10 minutes to adjust my instrument (I have a Prestini w/ conservatory system).
The above being said, I would first make sure that the lowest tone hole pad has a rig on it. If it doesn't, dampen it and clamp it shut for a couple of days.
Once there is a ring, use a piece of xmass-tree tinsel to see if the pad closes correctly (with finger pressure). If it does, then check the cork where the mechanism connects.

The pad closes for sure under direct finger pressure. What doesn't happen very well is pushing the actual key; takes quite a firm pressure to achieve pad closure. It would appear that I should have a cork pad between the connecting mechanism pieces (lower joint & bell), since I am sure that will definitely allow full closure without excess finger pressure on the key. Currently neither side has any cork.... probably been lost at some point.

Assuming that's the case, should the pad be attached to the bottom joint or the bell connector? I suppose the bell makes more engineering sense since it is (technically) less exposed to possible damage.

I have all the equipment needed for such jobs from my previous work on my saxophones (cork sheet, tools etc).

Back
Top Bottom