Performance Reed

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I generally rotate through my reeds but inevitably find a reed that is just a little better than the rest. I generally try to put that reed aside and save it for performances. Now sometimes that strategy doesn't work out as well if my chops are in a state of change.

What other opinions are out there about putting aside a special reed for performances?

I used to do that, but since I'm now playing or trying to play eleven different kinds of standard reed instruments and many non-standard, I'm hard pressed to find a bad reed. I even use synthetic reeds! Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

What Gandalfe said.

As mentioned, I recently bought Ed's old bari and that meant I needed reeds. And found that they were $3 apiece. You can't afford to be that picky at those prices.

I seriously thought about buying a synthetic reed, but I haven't played in a LONG while and I know my embochure's shot, so I probably have to work up to what I used to use: Vandoren Modele Jazz 3.5 (which they haven't made in years; don't bother looking for 'em).

I can say that the Rico 2.5's I bought are definitely too thin. I think I'll have to waste another $4 on a LaVoz 3 (when my sax is finished at the shop, that is :)).

I have used Fibracell reeds exclusively on all of my horns for more than 10 years. (Not trying to get into the virtues of synthetic/cane debate here, just a comment to preface my comments about rotating & performance reeds.)

For each voice of horn I have at least 3 or 4 reeds I usually rotate through for rehearsals (because apparently I like spending buckets on reeds all at the same time!!! :emoji_astonished: ) . Despite the company's advertisments, I do find that the reeds do indeed vary...usually related to the batch they come from. When I find "the one" that is everything I want/need/desire/crave, etc in a reed (you all know what I mean...the one that you want to have a funeral for when it finally dies :cry: ), I do put it aside, and use it only for performances. I have a small collection of those for each horn that I usually take to shows.

This idea was passed down to me from my first sax teacher, and somehow it stuck, and until last night has always worked flawlessly.

Last night the blues band I play in had a show. Now as some of you know, I've been quiet ill with a mysterious neurological condition for over a year, so I have done very little performing, and even less rehearsing, let alone practicing. So last night I took my performance reed out of the box marked "show" and tried to warm up....Yikes :eek: OK, so apparently my chops aren't up to snuff right now. I ended up using one of my rehearsal reeds that was a lot softer...Try hitting those altissimo notes accurately with one of those...All I can say is it's a good thing that I had my rehearsal reeds with me at the show...Lesson learned about embochures being in a state of flux and making sure you've got reeds to cover all the bases...or basses as may be the case. (Sorry about that...couldn't help that little bassic pun :D from just slipping out.)

pete said:
What Gandalfe said.

As mentioned, I recently bought Ed's old bari and that meant I needed reeds. And found that they were $3 apiece. You can't afford to be that picky at those prices.

I seriously thought about buying a synthetic reed, but I haven't played in a LONG while and I know my embochure's shot, so I probably have to work up to what I used to use: Vandoren Modele Jazz 3.5 (which they haven't made in years; don't bother looking for 'em).

I can say that the Rico 2.5's I bought are definitely too thin. I think I'll have to waste another $4 on a LaVoz 3 (when my sax is finished at the shop, that is :)).

Bari reeds are expensive. I feel your pain. Some years ago I scored an amazing deal on a bunch of boxes of Number 2 Rico's. I figured I would have reeds till the end of time as I just happened to play Rico 2's on the Rouseau JDX's I was playing. Then I made the mistake of playing against a wall and didn't like what I heard. It took me some time but I finally found the mouthpiece that gets me to the sound in my head - Selmer S90 190. Of course I play a 3 or a 3 1/2. So if anyone needs a box or two of Rico 2's let me know :)

Back
Top Bottom