Polished Clarinet Bore

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
What's the opinion/norm for a clarinet bore in terms of polishing?

I get the distinct impression that there are a couple of different schools of thought on this.

many technicians simply do nothing.

I had an R13 in recently which the bore was very, very rough.

if you think about it, if you use anything that removes material or the like then you are essentially changing the bore. A 3 step tapered bore of an R13 could end up being a drastically different instrument depending upon what is done to the bore which also could affect intonation.

On the aforementioned R13 I took it through a process of body reconditioning - oiling. something between a basic oiling and the Naylor process .. but more like the naylor process than a basic oiling.

After that process the bore was pretty nice. not rough to the touch like it was.

after that i may go through a process of "polishing" and sealing. I use a method that the big 3 makers used to use in the 50s and 60s and maybe 70s. Unfortunately I was asked not to share this info by the person i got the info from ..... so I can't eloborate.

but using anything that changes the diameter of the bore is a no-no .. no sandpaper or abrasives should be used to create a polished look.

Back
Top Bottom