Possible need for repairs?

Hi,

I was just given a Bundy clarinet (dunno how old it is, guestimating c. 50 years, maybe 60), and when I try to play it, the keys for the B and C (in staff)/keys for the E and F (below staff) push down, but the notes won't come out.

I've played clarinet for ten years, bass clarinet for nine, bassoon for 3, and I've never had this issue before with any of my woodwinds (yes, I play a variety of instruments in addition to these three). If I put a LOT of air into it, I can get the E and F to come out, but I can't get the B or C to come out. Maybe I'm just not used to playing the clarinet (haven't had the chance to pick one up in about nine months and have been focusing on the bassoon), but is this just an issue of being out of practice, or of needing to get repairs?

Thanks,
Monica

How do you operate those keys? Just the E/B lever or both the E/B and F/C levers? Try both. If that sounds any better, the link between the two (usually the cork (didn't those Bundies have green felts there?) on the crow's foot) has gone someplace else and must be replaced.
If it still doesn't sound satisfactorily, then a pad (in your case probably the "F/C" pad) is leaking.

I suspect this is a (probably simple) case for your friendly repair person. He or she will find out in a couple of seconds, and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Sounds like a quick trip to the clarinet tech is in order.

The quick test for leaks is to cover the holes on each joint separately and stop the end with the palm of your hand. On the top joint blow as hard as you can to see if any air leaks out from under the pads. On the lower joint you cover the end and suck the air out to create a vacuum.

If either of these tests indicate a leak, a trip to the repair shop is in order. If the clarinet is as old as you say and hasn't been serviced for years, it may need all new pads.

John

Since both C and B have problems, the cork on the bird's foot is unlikely since that won't affect the C (though it's very possible there are more problems than just one and this could be one of them). The most likely is a leak somewhere just above those notes for example the F/C key (which could also mean the F#/C# is a bit stuffy and resistant). Or maybe the bird's foot is bent, hitting the body before the pad seals. There are several (many even) possible reasons.

I also recommend going to a repairer.

Nitai

The crow's foot under the C#/B keys is the first place to look whenever there are problems with the "little finger" notes. Often, things that work well in the chalmeau register will not work once the register key is thrown into the mix. Only after that little mess is in good shape are the other holes possible suspects.

The crow's foot is an accident waiting to happen, but it's a good part of what makes the Boehm system so preferred in the clarinet world. While the patent C# makes similar facility on the other systems a possibility, the little finger keys on the Boehm are the best way to go. (Others may differ, of course.)

Back
Top Bottom