Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Proper name confusion

Hmm... so here's a stab at the clarinet family:
  • Ab, G sopranissimo (aka piccolo)
  • Eb, D sopranino
  • A, Bb, C soprano (G turkish)
  • C, A, and Bb soprano with curved barrels and bells marketed under the names Saxonette, Claribel, and Clariphon.
  • A, F basset
  • Eb alto
  • Bb, A bass
  • Eb, Bb contrabass
  • Experimental EEE and BBB aka octocontra-alto and octocontrabass clarinets have also been built
  • Chalumeau (pre-clarinet)
But if you really wanna go insane, look at this list!

:p

I already posted the clarinet family in http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24609&postcount=8

A/Ab/G/Bb/C "Piccolo" Clarinets: These are sopranissimo clarinets, although they're occasionally called "sopraninos". The word "piccolo" means "small flute". It has been extended, correctly or not, to cover all really small instruments. Just remember that "piccolo" refers to size, not range.
Eb/D/C/Bb/A/G Soprano Clarinets: Soprano/melody instruments.
Basset Clarinet/Basset Horn/Eb or F Alto Clarinet: Alto range, roughly.
A/Bb/C Bass Clarinet: Tenor range, mostly.
Eb Contrabass (Contralto) Clarinet, Contrabasset Horns in G/F/Eb: Baritone range.
Bb/C Contrabass Clarinet: True bass range.
Eb Octacontralto Clarinet: An octave below alto clarinet. True bass range and a bit lower.
Bb Octocontrabass Clarinet: Lowest wind instrument. Ranges to below standard bass line.
I remember seeing a pic of the entire Leblanc family of clarinets. Ah found it.

More interesting pics at http://webspace.webring.com/people/ea/allreeds/. Hmm. I recognize Jay Easton and ... Gandalfe.

Thanks for the edification folks - I am properly (?) bedazzled, boggled, and bewildered at the variety present in the clarinet assemblage! I can see that I definitely have a lot yet to learn. (I must admit though, that I still wonder about what I might get paid for accepting an one of those e_Bay altos...:emoji_rolling_eyes:)

(I must admit though, that I still wonder about what I might get paid for accepting an one of those e_Bay altos...:emoji_rolling_eyes:)
I am led to believe that Terry must have his own special sources...I didn't find any in that price region. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom