Question mark Germanic horn of the moment: Diamond

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the ad doesn't specifically say that it's German.

Split bell key. Interesting looking chromatic F#. I'd think Monnig Diamant, but I haven't seen other split bell key Monnigs.

5.JPG

Well if it's a Gebrüder Mönnig, it's a very old one. The company started out in Markneukirchen in 1926, but all the horns I have photos of--including the ones that I haven't yet had a chance to upload--have serial #'s that following the numbering convention shown on my website:

2817 [or insert other serial # here]
M
1938 [likely year of production]

The earliest year of production I have on any of the horns is 1936, and is on a tenor.

However, even that tenor has the low C key shape similar to that of the JK's and key guard "foot" shapes nothing like the ones pictured.

Right Side Lower Portion.JPG

The leaf-shaped ones on the alto currently on eBay resemble those on early Pierrets. I'm not suggesting that the horn is French, or a Pierret, but I can't remember seeing those type of key guard feet on German horns before. I'd have to pour through my pics to see what I could turn up.

Oh, upon closer inspection. There's something about the eBay horn's engraving that doesn't fit into the Gebrüder Mönnig style as well. It doesn't look like any of them. Not to mention, it is missing the Gebrüder Mönnig name, and the engraving says "Diamond", not "Diamant". That said, the engraving pattern does look familiar, but I can't remember where I've seen it before.

Last edited:
Oh, upon closer inspection. There's something about the eBay horn's engraving that doesn't fit into the Gebrüder Mönnig style as well. It doesn't look like any of them. Not to mention, it is missing the Gebrüder Mönnig name, and the engraving says "Diamond", not "Diamant". That said, the engraving pattern does look familiar, but I can't remember where I've seen it before.
Yup. Of course, if I hear "ebay.de" and "Diamond saxophone," the obvious conclusion would be "Monnig Diamant." Of course, that assumes a lot.

The engraving style is similar to what I've seen on very old Rampone & Cazzani horns, Henri Pihan, and probably lots more. I think it looks a lot like a Rene Guenot, but it's not a perfect match.

The engraving I'm thinking of, is a much closer match than the 3 examples you've linked to above. IIRC, it is a darn near match to the Diamond alto currently for sale. Mmmm... I will have to see what I can turn up in my pics...

Back
Top Bottom