RIP LeRoi Moore

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
LeRoi Moore, sax player & one of the founding members of the Dave Matthews Band, died on Tuesday from injuries he sustained in an ATV accident in June.

He had been discharged from the hospital and was doing rehab for his injuries, when complications caused him to be readmitted hospital. He was 46.

The home page of the DMB website is dedicated to him today.

LeRoi could make his sax sound like a vocalist or lion at will. I got a call this morning from a friend about this. I can't count the number of times people have told me that he is the reason they became a musician. RIP LeRoi; your legacy lives on.

I can't count the number of times people have told me that he is the reason they became a musician.

Well Gandalfe, you're about to hear it again. I would not be playing saxophone today if it were not for this man. It's funny too, as he was not often discussed in these forums, but today I just realized how much of an impact he had on musicians. He was an inspiration for a (currently) young generation of saxophonists...not too unlike a Boots Randolph or King Curtis before him. There is a new void in the music world. Leroi, you will be missed.

I always thought of him as a musician (which is high praise) and not just a saxophonist. He arranged and did some writing. He was a great player on top of all of that. His presence in the band was huge.

Back
Top Bottom