Scott Robinson, Jazz Futurist, Mad Scientist

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
"It's like playing a canoe." ~ Scott Robinson playing a contrabass sax

Scott Robinson, Jazz Futurist, Mad Scientist | Cultural Conversation by Will Friedwald - WSJ.com
online.wsj.com Scott Robinson plays every style of jazz on almost every horn known to man—and even some rhythm instruments. Will Friedwald takes a peek into his laboratory of instruments.

Meanwhile, a firm in Brazil is building Mr. Robinson the world's first subcontrabass saxophone, which promises to be the biggest and lowest sax in history. The saxophonist also looks with a mischievous glint in his eye at his slide soprano: "If only I could get one of these on a bass sax," he says.

Read more and hear video...

Heh Jim... You stole my blog post for tomorrow. ;-) I was going to write about that today, but I didn't have the time to do it justice today because I had a neurologist's appointment this AM. Now what am I going to do tomorrow? :p

Other than J'Elle Stainer, he could be getting Lopes to build it as well. Although, Stainer did have something on their site about some monster sax they were working on. They had a pic there a year ago already. It was a just barely a bare brass shell at the time, that could swallow one of their other big saxes. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Heh Jim... You stole my blog post for tomorrow. ;-) I was going to write about that today, but I didn't have the time to do it justice today because I had a neurologist's appointment this AM. Now what am I going to do tomorrow? :p

Other than J'Elle Stainer, he could be getting Lopes to build it as well. Although, Stainer did have something on their site about some monster sax they were working on. They had a pic there a year ago already. It was a just barely a bare brass shell at the time, that could swallow one of their other big saxes. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Helen, you soo should blog about this. I have their email somewhere. I should find it for you so you can get pics. :cool:

Oh, and I too have a buyer for your saxophone. ;)

I've got the email from Scott that he sent yesterday, if that's the one you mean.

I'll take a crack at this tomorrow then... I don't know how many people read the Wall Street Journal...

I think Scott's the greatest bass sax player since Adrian Rollini. He's more concerned with playing than online blogging, but he's been very informative to me when I have communicated with him about the bass sax.

I don't know much about the new Brazilian contrabass saxophone, but I hope Scott gets it. If anyone can make it play musically, he can.

Back
Top Bottom