Social Media Linkies

Discussion in 'New Forum Stuff' started by tictactux, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tictactux

tictactux Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Hey, looks good!

You gave me the keyword re the "social media" toolbar - looks like there are others doing similar things:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=217117

Unfortunately, I haven't got access so cannot review the code, but it does look like a good start.
    (If you need help with php and the like, you know where I can be found)

Anyhow, thanks for all the work!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
    Tags:
  2. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Ah. You want more social media stuff. It's not that big of a deal. Un momento.

3. pete

Sorry. Doesn't work. I added the code (it's quite a bit) and none of the little icons for Facebook (etc.) showed up. Not even graphics placeholders.

I might search for a different mod, but I don't want to too heavily modify this forum. Moving from vBulletin 3.8.x to vBulletin 4.1.x might be a better idea. After a LOT of testing, that is.

4. pete

I did some searching today. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268967 looks very promising. What it does is add a "menu bar" to threads. Example attached. I might install tonight: it's a simple install, but there's a warning that the mod can screw up themes, so I want to be able to test. Luckily, the three themes currently installed are minor variations of vBulletin's default theme.

5. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

6. kevgermany

kevgermany

I'm the opposite. I can, and do avoid it at all costs. Just another big pointless time waster. And on some of these links, every time the mouse goes over them, a menu suddenly appears and gets in the way.... Talk about irritating. :frown:

7. Gandalfe

I have been hunting for a job using the normal state funded, monster-type, and employment training service for almost two months now. I got one response, out of oh so many attempts, that the job was filled. I feared that I might not ever get a decent job again. To say I was depressed is an understatement.

This week friends on Facebook hooked me up to interview opportunities, one with Amazon and one with Philips. These opportunities are for jobs that I would love to have. Both friends were people I knew years ago but haven't seen in years. Neither were on my Facebook friend list but were a part of a thread of conversation I was having with one of my friends.

Yeah, social media is such a waste of time. ;)

8. pete

My opinion on social media: eh. Whatever.

IRL (in real life), I'm a computer tech. I generally have a bunch of computer-related new shinies. I have no real desire to be on Facebook, etc. It takes me long enough to answer the e-mail I get, play with this forum and do research for my blog. However, I do know that some folks are really into Facebook, etc. (like my older daughter and my 90-year-old grandmother-in-law), so I don't mind trying to make that kind of feature work here. I probably won't use it, though.

True story: I had signed up for Facebook, once. A particular undesirable individual who I thought didn't know about me attempted to contact me through it, resulting in me taking down the info I had up there, which was basically just my e-mail address. Considering I never got another e-mail from said individual, either the person decided I wasn't the person s/he was looking for or s/he gave up on contacting me. Either works, as the result is the same.

Oh. Sorry. The real reason for me posting is that I'm doing a full backup and will then attempt to install the hack I mentioned. Possibly about an hour. Maybe less, maybe more. I'm also thinking about revisiting vBulletin 4.1.x to see if it's gotten a tad more robust. Primary reason for doing so is mentioned above: some of the features y'all desire are built-in and/or are currently supported by developers. Again, it will be something to test. With a backup. :D

9. pete

Installed. You can only see it when you're in a thread, not when you're posting. I had to do a little customization to make it work.

Oh. One other comment: there sure are a lot of options ....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  10. pete

Gee, I'm making another comment on this:

I found that my long-abandoned Facebook account is still "active." I had about a bazillion (or, using the phrase I champion, "At least 1 Sagan's worth") of folks that want to "friend" me, including a couple folks that I'm possibly related to. Hey, I scrolled down to the bottom of the screen at least a half-dozen times, and the names kept popping up.

Now, I do know that I am or was semi-high-profile in the saxophone world: my old website, saxpics.com, had over a million visitors before I sold it four-ish years ago and I was an admin/mod/techie geek at SOTW for a long time, so I've had a bit of exposure. However, the volume of these requests either impresses me or makes me feel like I have ... an obligation. At the very least, it does underscore the fact that social media is really, really big.

11. Gandalfe

Check out the Woodwind Forum group the next time you peek in Pete.

12. kevgermany

kevgermany

Sorry to hear you're looking for a job. I thought your company was pretty stable.

Good that social media work for you, just not my cup of tea.

Good luck with the job hunt!!

13. pete

I'll be revisiting this sometime in the future, now that we have Xenforo. You might have seen that you can log in here with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ account.