Something's going wrong with AFM registration :confused:

So, I've finally moved into my dorm at college. Awesome. My registration for AFM isn't being processed. Not awesome. I've decided to register for the AFM for the benefits available and more gigs. So I was registering and all that and that was grand. But then I have to submit my registration. I click on "Submit" but then there's this ambiguous error saying that I'm forbidden to keep going. So I go back (twice) and try again. Both times I've tried and I got the same error message. I've just emailed them and waiting for a reply. Has this happened to you guys before? If so, how does it get fixed? Also, since I pushed back twice, it's a possibility that I've been charged $270 for the initial dues fee rather than $90.

It may have resulted in multiple bookings. CALL (not on line, but on the phone) to make sure that their website has not done you wrong.

And, as far as getting more bookings by belonging to the union, I would say that your membership alone will result in very few of them. Other than in New York and Los Angeles, where others can speak more authoritatively than I, I imagine that membership alone is only one step in the process. Who you know (and your network of connections) will be far more valuable.

I've worked out of five locals over the last thirty-four years) and have been a paid member for most of that time, but it almost always has been who I knew who got me hired.

I have an amusing story (well,it is now, at least) about hiring a drummer out of the hall once. I won't make that mistake again...

And, as far as getting more bookings by belonging to the union, I would say that your membership alone will result in very few of them. Other than in New York and Los Angeles, where others can speak more authoritatively than I, I imagine that membership alone is only one step in the process. Who you know (and your network of connections) will be far more valuable.

I understand that. But I guess in order to get more gigs, you need to get the contacts by playing at the gigs. That last sentence seemed a little too obvious now that I think about it...

Apparently, I couldn't get registered because my card kept getting rejected. That's what they said when I called the AFM offices in New York. I will try again, but I need to find what Local covers Dubuque County. I was thinking the Local 137 in Cedar Rapids. For some odd reason, Dubuque County is unlisted in in the list of Locals in Iowa

I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if so, but I can't imagine the AFM is much of a factor in Iowa. It's not what it was in the day.

Contact Paul Hemmer. He is pretty hooked up in DBQ and should be able to tell you where to go, or who to talk to. OR maybe Hunter Fuerste - yes the eye Doctor. Get to know them both if you want in on the good paying gigs in DBQ.

Thanks. Can you send me their numbers in a private message please? That is, if you remember them.

They're in the phone book. Hunter's office is on JFK near Hartig's.

If you want to get the call as a sax player in the area (for paying gigs), these are the guys you need to know.

Or look up the TSWS and make connections there. Their season is done til next summer. Make some connections there and you could get asked for a paid gig or two - if you can deliver.

They're in the phone book. Hunter's office is on JFK near Hartig's.

If you want to get the call as a sax player in the area (for paying gigs), these are the guys you need to know.

Or look up the TSWS and make connections there. Their season is done til next summer. Make some connections there and you could get asked for a paid gig or two - if you can deliver.

So what should I do first? Join the union or give those folks a call?

Back
Top Bottom