Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Gil Evans Project

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm doing a concert in October with the Humber College Faculty/Alumni Big Band. Guest arranger Ryan Truesdell is with us and we're doing music from this:

http://www.gilevansproject.com/

As you may have guessed, I'm playing a crazy amount of doubles: clarinet/bass clarinet/baritone sax/bassoon/flute/piccolo/BASS FLUTE!

Own everything except the Bass flute, but I can rent one relatively easy around here.

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I'd bet if Gil had been exposed to bass sax a little more, we would have great stuff written by him for the big sax. When I was playing with Jaco, he asked for a contribution from Gil for Jaco's upcoming Japan tour and album (1982), and Gil sent a chart for free, unless I'm terribly misinformed.
A little more grease from the money people might result in some great music. Some of the big names are working on a shoestring budget. They're not asking for much.

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Why this love of the bass flute but no bass sax requirement? Strange if'n you ask me.
I'm fine with that. The bass would move things into a two trip load-in. Also, my bass is being used by a section mate for Pirates of Penzance, so taking it with would be a big hassle.