The New Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Problem Reports' started by pete, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

on the start up page, the "Our Most" ; 2nd column "Viewed Threads" has threads from 2010.
    a sort issue ?

2. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Not exactly.

The widget has only two things you can view: non-sticky or sticky threads. One or the other. So, just to test, I unstickied one of our very popular threads, "What are you listening to today?" Sure enough, that thread added itself to "Most Viewed." (I've also excluded some forum areas, like forum general info, because I'm planning on just adding a link to that, or similar.)

The person that created this widget is no longer actively developing it, so the behavior shouldn't change in the future. However, I can try tinkering with it a bit more to see if it would pick up thread redirects or something.

You might also notice that the "Most Liked" column has a bunch of one or two likes. That's because the old vBulletin forum's likes couldn't be migrated to Xenforo. I haven't gotten around to see if I can tweak that.

3. pete

Well, that was super annoying. Albums.

Some vBulletin albums didn't get transferred over to the new forum. If you're missing an album, RSVP and I'll do my best to restore it.

4. pete

Gandalfe likes this.
  5. pete

1. I found the setting to underline links within posts, so if you post a link, it's underlined. This was often asked for when we were using vBulletin.
    2. I've added the join date, number of posts (messages), and likes received to users' avatars.

With the "vBulletin PostBit," the stuff for #2 moved all the way over to the far right of the screen. Arguably that looks OK for small screens, but I've got a 27" iMac that I'm using as a monitor (you can do this with 2009-2014 non-Retina iMacs, BTW). It's a 2560 x 1440 screen. I had about 18 inches of blank space. I decided to change it to what you currently see, which is the Xenforo default.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  6. pete

I changed the spacing between posts in the "Forum Default (Elegance 2 Base)" style from zero to 35px. RSVP if you like it, hate it, or if you think I should increase or decrease the spacing. My reasoning was that it makes it a little clearer to tell when a post starts/stops.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Gandalfe likes this.
  7. Helen

Helen Content Expert Saxophones Staff Member Administrator

I guess it has always been wider in Graphite Base? That's what I'm using. I don't know what the spacing is, but there is lots of "white"/grey spacing between posts already. Therefore I have no comment, I'm just RSVP'ing as per your request.

OK, so I lied. I do have a comment. I looked at your screen shot. Yes, the white space looks good. Having the extra spacing obviously helps. I didn't realize not all themes were the same in the spacing dept.

BTW, my newly-updated equipment and expertise lines do not appear in either the Graphite or Default themes.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  8. pete

I'll take a look.

9. pete

Looks like you found it :D

2017-01-16_0936.png

10. Helen

I found it, but the results don't appear in my posts in either the Graphite or Default themes. :p

11. pete

They're not supposed to. You have to manually add a link to your signature line. Check out this post.

TrueTone likes this.
  12. Helen

Apparently I can't follow directions either. :oops:

I was doing this while SEO'ing and editing my article about the A.E. Sax tenor in C this am. It seems I can't do more than one thing at once... :confused:

13. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

So will I be able to flip the order of posts so that the newest is on top?

14. pete

How much money you got? I mean, there's an add-on for that. I'll check it out on (probably) Wednesday.

Gandalfe and TrueTone like this.
  15. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I like the way that it automatically takes you to the newest posts with the little red flag. No more page down / page up, what was the last thing I read.

Gandalfe likes this.
  16. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ah, for me it's click on the little "arrow" in front of the post title when you are in the folder view. Thanks saxhound!

17. pete

Gandalfe likes this.
  18. pete

The other part of Gandalfe's request is done. To change which post is first, go to Browsing Preferences. For the dropdown for "Thread display mode," choose newest post first. Click "Save Changes."

This add-on also allows me to put the reply box (i.e. the thing I'm typing in right now) to the top. I can understand doing that if you display the newest post first, but that's not currently configurable: it's on for everyone or off for everyone. The add-in developer says that if you float some cash his way, he might be convinced to do that.

The add-on also allows something that I've seen on other forums and I kinda like: the original post is at the top of each page. If anyone else likes that idea, just post here. The one problem we have (as does SOTW and a lot of other forums) is that we tend to not stick to the original topic of the thread :D.

There's a warning in the discussion of this add-on that "Post Reply" and "More Options ..." might not work right. I need to test this a bit. Don't have time, ATM.