The New XenForo Forum: Styles (Colors and Look)

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by pete, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Which One's the Best?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2016.
  1. Artodia Framework (write which one you like)

80.0%
  2. Audentio Theme Based on UI.X (write which one you like)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Audentio's Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Something Else (write out a link)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Whatever Pete Likes Best

20.0%
  1. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

I've got most of the technical details of the new XenForo forum nailed down. All we need is to customize the look and feel. I've narrowed it down:

* Artodia Framework Style. Pete Thomas uses the Latte version, so we know these would work well. I'm leaning toward the Elegance theme.
    * Audentio Theme Based on UI.X. Has some nice features on the back end.
    * Audentio's Corp. Brand new theme. Doesn't have as many features as the above, but it's got an absolutely gorgeous main page.
    * Something Else. Post a link to what you like. I'll take a look.

Each of the above links will give you a run-down and a link to sample pages.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
    Tags:
  2. pete

Please also note that I can customize the colors -- for free! -- to an extent.

========

Briefly, the reason to go to one of these themes is because they give us something other than pretty colors: Artodia Framework-based and Audentio UI.X-based themes include a bunch of things that we would use that we'd need other add-ons/hacks to use, otherwise. Also, these themes use something called "Font Awesome," which will speed up the forum by a lot. Corp's just really pretty, especially if you've used Windows 8 or 10.

I shot down the themes from PixelEdit because they don't offer more than color combinations and they're not yet completely compatible with the new version of XenForo.

The reason I haven't added a zillion choices is because a) these cost money and b) if I bought multiple themes, I'd have to customize each to add our advertising banner, forum logo, etc.

3. retread

retread

I'll be happy so long as the text is black on white.

4. Tony Fairbridge

Tony Fairbridge Tony F

Artodia Framework

5. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

Can we have an option for no real preference?

6. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Any of the Artodia Framework Style versions work for me.

7. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I agree. I do like lighter backgrounds with black text. It's easier on these older eyes.

8. Helen

Helen Content Expert Saxophones Staff Member Administrator

I'm exactly the opposite--which would explain my own website. ;)

Dark backgrounds with light writing is my preference. But then I also suffer from photophobia, so these backgrounds are easier on my eyes.

9. Helen

Question for you Pete, does the design you pick influence the skin--or more likely these are full out themes, not mere skins. In other words, depending on which design you pick, do you have to buy different themes in order to get various user choices?

10. pete

Minus the Corp style, each of the above does add some additional features on either or both the front and back ends. They're "full out themes": full layout, colors, and some features.

I can make something called "Child Styles." The idea behind that is that you can make color and font size changes in the Child -- like you want blue text instead of black -- but major design changes will filter down from the "Parent Style." Those major design changes would be overall layout on the page, the forum logo, advertising banner, etc. In other words, if we went with Elegance and you wanted a black background with amber text, I could (relatively) easily create a Child style for you. The Artodia styles also have a website that (allegedly) makes it even easier to change the colors.

EDIT: Attached two pics from the default style and a child that I just changed the background to black and text to amber on. There are 24 properties that can be modified.

Please note that I'm not volunteering to do this for everyone. 100 plus Child styles. I shudder to think. Anyhow, I did want to have at least a light and dark theme, so whatever we go with, I'd try to make a Child style.

I really wanted a user-selectable color palette, but the styles I saw that had this feature seem to have only that feature as a selling point.

a.PNG b.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
  11. pete

Added, "Whatever Pete Likes Best." :p

12. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

After living in Chicago for 33 years, I subscribe to the "vote early and often, even if you are dead" maxim. So here's a vote for "Whatever [MENTION=140]pete[/MENTION] Likes Best". Since he has to do the dirty work behind the scenes, it's only fair that he gets a "superdelegate" vote.

13. Helen

I'm very familiar with child themes, and I had seen them in the test forum, so thanks for clearing the dark/light issue up for me.

In that case I'll leave the choice to you Pete. I think you've got a waaay better grasp on what might be the best/most appropriate for the WF.

If these themes are anything like those WP, then there is a lot to consider, including long-term support and security. This is all stuff I'd have to research for this new platform before I feel like I could make an informed choice. Therefore, I think you should pick whichever you feel is right for us.

14. pete

Drhd6RU.jpg

15. pete

Anyhow, I actually don't necessarily know what's best. That's because I'm not you (collectively, not just referring to Helen). Also, considering y'all donated $ and/or time to help other members and/or you're on the WF staff, I want everyone to get a say. The only thing I have any real concern about is the technical end, that's why I pared down the selections to the (now) 5 selections. But I also do thank you all for the vote of support. That helps!

So, what I'll do is let this run for another week-ish and see what's up. I don't have any fixed timetable to get everything done, but I do most of my work here on the weekends and during lunchtime -- I had been on a week-long vacation up until yesterday, so I did a lot of web work during that. As I mentioned, I've run down most of the technical bits of Xenforo. I think I can use this weekend to finish up that technical end, then I can start more work on the design end.

I also need to check if Xenforo does Hot Dog Stand as an available Style.

16. Helen

In that case, my vote is for Hot Dog Stand... If'n you can get it. :emoji_rage: If you can't, then my 2nd choice would be Artodia, with the Graphite theme.

17. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I like the grey green stuff (as opposed any neon green stuff) that you've always provided us. Truth be known, on the current implementation I couldn't get my color preferences to stick so I'm always in the default blue motif, which is fine too.

18. pete

Yah. The problem really is that I hadn't bothered updating those old styles. I should remove them.

19. pete

I'm sorry. I should have closed this.

* Elegance 2 purchased.
    * Graphite purchased.

The reasoning behind purchasing two was because while I can modify all the settings of Elegance, a light theme, and make it dark, it was taking waaaaay too much time. And I want both a light and dark theme available to our users, because Helen's got a good point. Also,

* If I get enough e-mails on it, I'll modify the themes to use the Dyslexie font, for those of us with dyslexia (mine is very mild).
    * If you want bigger, just hit "ctrl+" on a PC or "cmd+" on a Mac.