The Perfect Gig Calendar

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I've been testing different free calendars for years and with the new Windows Live Calendar think I've found my new fav. I blogged about it here. In the screen shot below note I'm tracking my participation in five musical organizations.

3878285965_858d1df4fa.jpg

Did I mention it's free? ;)

My life is in my Blackberry. It gets there via Outlook at the office. Between playing with two or three bands, having a young son, and various family events planned by my wife . . . it's the only way to keep me in touch and on time.

I luv my crackberry (blackberry slang) but I don't like the exorbitant price for using the Internet and the battery life hit. I can't get through a whole day without recharging. It has to do with the lack of connectivity in the building I work at. And the unit pings, pings, pings, trying to find a connection.

I buy my perfect gig calendar every year at Office Depot. It's a big wall calendar. Each day is a block into which I can write the details of the gig. Employer, pay, location, dress, which instrument. It's even my accounts receivable system. When I get paid, I check off the money. It's my tax record for music income, too.

It hangs on the wall in my wife's studio where we both can get to it and see what's on the schedule. When we go out of town together, it folds neatly into a briefcase-sized packet and goes along.

It's impervious to theft, power surges, battery failures, lost cables, and software bugs. It has no monthly fee.

Do you think something like that will ever catch on?

Or just turn it on when you feel like it

I luv my crackberry (blackberry slang) but I don't like the exorbitant price for using the Internet and the battery life hit. I can't get through a whole day without recharging. It has to do with the lack of connectivity in the building I work at. And the unit pings, pings, pings, trying to find a connection.

You can turn off the alerts. I turned off the alerts on mine the first day I had it. (Edit the Profile: you can change or cancel the sound for any alert individually.)

Searching for signal does drain the battery. I use the "auto on/off" feature, so that it turns on automatically in the morning before I wake up and downloads all my email. It turns off around the time I get to the office (where I switch to desktop).

You can turn off the alerts. I turned off the alerts on mine the first day I had it. (Edit the Profile: you can change or cancel the sound for any alert individually.)

Searching for signal does drain the battery. I use the "auto on/off" feature, so that it turns on automatically in the morning before I wake up and downloads all my email. It turns off around the time I get to the office (where I switch to desktop).
Actually I turned mine off as I rarely use that itty-bitty screen to surf the net. But those are good suggestions.

Like Al's, my gig calendar is also amazing. It requires no batteries, and I can see it in any kind of light with no glare. I never have to recharge it. I never have a connectivity problem. Alerts and pings are never an issue. And, unlike Al's, it fits in the palm of my hand or in my jacket pocket. It never breaks down or gets any kind of virus, and it never needs servicing. It has no owner's manual because you don't need any special knowledge or training to use it.

It costs about 1/30 of the price of a Blackberry or similar device. It's a Pocket Pal Daily Diary I got at the local stationery store.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a productivity geek so I can fully appreciate how well paper works.

I've looked at some of the previous offerings from HTC and was always concerned because of reports of reliability. I'll be interested in seeing how your new device holds up.

I have to say that I'm still happy with my Blackberry. An iPhone might be tempting but my carrier doesn't have them.

Back
Top Bottom