The pyramid of clarinets

Ok, the hated thread all newbs start. Here's the deal. I'm likely looking at an overhaul on my Normandy or Noblet. The overhaul will likely cost more than either of these clarinets is worth.

What is the general order of progression of the clarinet models and brands with respect to quality? I know where brand lines cross there will be disagreement. We can stop at semi-pro clarinets, no need to go crazy :emoji_relaxed:

I suppose I'd want to stick to wooden clarinets from traditional brands (Selmer, Leblanc, and Buffet.)

I'm not buying right now, but I certainly like to consider my options and be knowledgable in case fortune shines upon me. Fortune favors the prepared.

There are four basic brands of "mainline" clarinets these days: Selmer, Leblanc (both owned by the same company), Buffet and Yamaha. All produce solid intermediate and low professional instruments, all are readily available through mail and internet orders, and all will serve you well if all you are looking for is a serviceable piece of equipment.

Trying out dozens of horns is not normally done at the level that you are talking about. Instead, price and personal preference are the keys to success.

As you are currently playing a Leblanc product, it may be that you would prefer to stay within that manufacturer's line. But, any one of the four would have a horn that would be adequate for your purposes.

Let's keep in mind that Selmer could be two things .. Selmer USA (which also now owns Leblanc) and Selmer Paris (still by themselves ??)

Selmer paris is strictly professional level
where as Selmer USA is beginner & intermediate

Leblanc, of course, has everything from beginner to pro
Noblet 4 (the old Normandy 4) beginner
Noblet intermediates
Leblanc line of pro instruments

The question at hand are several
[1] would you buy a *new* clarinet as in brand new. Thus pay a fairly good price for one or would you buy a used clarinet

[2] what level clarinet would you opt to get versus having your existing one(s) overhauled ?

[3] what is/would be your budget ?

as for the particular lines and the most common ones .... as is today (when I checked). The lineup years ago was different with different model #s and different models

Buffet
B10/B12 - student
E11 - intermediate
http://buffet-crampon.com/en/instruments.php?mode=productsList&cid=10

Selmer USA (don't really know their existing clarinet lineup)
http://www.selmer.com/content/category.php?category=Selmer USA Clarinets
CL14xx - student
CL2xx - student / intermediate ??
cl3xx -- unsure ????

Leblanc
http://www.leblancclarinets.com/products.php?series=Heritage
Esprit ? beginner
Normandy 4 beginner/intermediate ??
Sonata - entry pro

--> what seems to be missing now are the Noblets ....

Yamaha
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...CTID%253D238900%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

250 - beginner
450 - intermediate

I'm a very big fan of ... well, just about anything Yamaha. I felt that my YCL-34 (replaced with the 450) was better than many pro clarinets that I've played and better than the Selmer Centered Tone that I owned.

The Buffet mid-line clarinets are also exceptional. I believe one of their plastic horns is supposed to have the same bore as their R13 professional model (you can search this forum for details on that).

I think TicTacTux's Marigaux is one of the most beautiful clarinets I've evar seen, but it's pro level. The point is that it may be possible to find a really nice model pro horn that's on eBay (or wherever) and get it repaired. Someone even mentioned a recently discontinued Selmer pro model at www.wwbw.com that was being sold at 50% off.

When I bought my Buffet RC Prestige (with silver-plated keywork) 23 years ago, I already owned an R-13 Buffet and I tried a BUNCH of top-line brands and models - many side-by-side with the Buffet I bought.

Keep in mind that I am NOT a good clarinetist, but I can still get a nice full sound out of one. The Buffet I chose was clearly superior to all the others I tried . . . other Buffets, Selmers, LeBlancs, and Yamahas.

Since then, I've blown a few of the top-end models (at NAMM as well as elsewhere). I once had to use a borrowed Yamaha pro-level clarinet at a jazz festival when a spring failed on my Buffet.

My conclusion from this is that if I could not buy another Buffet, the Selmers and Yamahas would serve me well. I was impressed with the Yamaha I borrowed and with the various Selmers I tried years after buying my Buffet.

I suppose it is like most things . . . we all have our favorites (motorcycles, handguns, musical instruments, etc.) and it all depends on one's opinion as to the proper order of the list. DAVE

I suppose it is like most things . . . we all have our favorites (motorcycles, handguns, musical instruments, etc.) and it all depends on one's opinion as to the proper order of the list. DAVE
Well my Colt 45... oh, that's another discussion. :emoji_rage:

I have stuck with used clarinets except for my bass clarinet. And I've ended up with some very nice players. Unless you are emotionally attached to a particular brand of student/intermediate horn, I'd steer you towards the pro instruments. I play, rather poorly I might add:
  • Selmer Paris silver clarinet
  • Buescher TruTone silver clarinet (albert keyed)
  • Buffet Festival R-13 (primary)
  • Leblanc Paris alto clarinet
  • Selmer Paris Privilege 67 to low C bass clarinet
  • Leblanc Paris (paperclip) contrabass clarinet
All these instruments cost more than I wanted to pay and I wouldn't give them up for anything at this point. Everyone who plays them luvs them but they have all been tweaked by my fav repair tech.

When you get what you really want, you go slower, pay a little more and most times, save in the long run.

With a nod toward Gandalfe, another way of looking at it is, "If your budget is $X, you could get a $horn."

*IF* you have a relatively good eye for horn repair issues and you want to take a rather high risk, eBay is definitely for you. You could get an exceptional deal and a really nice pro horn and then have it overhauled, like this Selmer Series 10 that Quinn is selling for $550 (hey, you can see if Gandalfe can get hold of this guy!).

*IF* you want only new, you're really limited to how much you want to spend. That YCL-450 is $929 and all the other "intermediate" model horns are around that price. But that pro-level Selmer Artsys is $1395.

*IF* you don't mind letting your fingers do the walking, you can stumble across SteveSklar's website and see that he's got a few rebuilt used intermediate horns for under $700. Hey, JunkDude has my YCL-34 for all of $575. Hey, check out the ClarinetCloset: they're even cheaper.

The advantage of used instruments through a dealer is that some offer warranties and/or a trial period. That could be sweet.

BTB, I was thinking that a pyramid shape is an excellent way of stacking them if you want 'em to burn longer ....

Just a correction/addition. Steve is right, Conn-Selmer, who is the distributer or Selmer Paris instrument in USA, (now) owns Leblanc. Leblanc used to be seperate in USA and France, but the USA part bought the French part (afaik) and now closed the factory in France (rumor is that Buffet bought it and will continue to use it for building instruments). So it's not the same company who own Leblanc and Selmer Paris. I don't know if SOTSDO meant Conn-Selmer or Selmer Paris.

As far as instruments, I like very much the student Yamaha models. Definitely much more than just about any old student model I've tried (like B&H, Noblet, etc). The student Yamahas have only a few 'quirks' which are not very significant comapred with other models. I also like Buffet student models, they sound very good, but the build quality, although with a reasonable design, is usually a bit problematic.

I've tried only a few newer intermediate models from Leblanc and they were pretty good. Same for Buffet (like E11 and E13). I haven't tried the intermediate models from Yamaha but after playing their student and pro models I doubt they would be disapointing. I don't know if Selmer Paris have any intermediate models. I've tried a few Bundys which sound very ok but aren't the best clarinets. I don't know anything about Conn-Selmer intermediate models, or any of the Backun/Bliss models.

Nitai

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom