The ultimate sax soli...

Ben, that's a solo, not a soli. I'm just sayin...
"A soli" contradicts itself in a way, at least if you speak Italian. Of course, "threesome" has some connotation that not always accurately conveys the meaning. :p

Yeh, I admit it, I misread the subject. Seems my senses have been dulled by these years of reading stuff with "undogmatic spelling".

This has to rank high on the list of great sax soli's at time mark 2:15 for those interested. :O)

So what's your fav?

The lead alto player is Brian Grivna. Brian was the leader of the Dartmouth College jazz band, the Barbary Coast Orchestra, before me. We got to play together. He's a monster.

I like the brilliant soli section in John Cage's 4' 33". It starts at about 2 minutes.

That's two minutes of my life I will never get back!

I've always been partial to Groovin' Hard. Here's a pretty good Buddy Rich one (sorry no video - starts at 2:33):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqMu2yU6mU

This is the one I really like:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dqyc_don-menza-groovin-hard_music

Don't skip past the Menza & Olivier Peters solos. Soli starts at 11:18.

I'm so enjoying listening the nominated links to the best sax soli ever. And I find myself not only thinking about revisiting some of these arrangements, many of which I own, but reprising them in my own bands. Keep 'em comin'. :cool:

This one is near the top of my list. Composed by my buddy Jerome Richardson who is playing his old silver plated mk6 soprano on this. Another buddy on this band is Eddie Bert, the trombonist 2nd from the left. Eddie played in my band at the Tavern On The Green in NYC from 2001 till 2004. He also worked with Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Stan Kenton, the Dick Cavett show, and a million other gigs. Eddie's still working and playing great.
The reeds here are Jerome and Jerry Dodgion on altos, Joe Henderson and Eddie Daniels on tenor, and Pepper Adams on bari. Not too shabby, eh?

I would nominate Duke Ellington's 1940 recording of "Cottontail," with it's very extensive and very swinging reed chorus. Otto "Toby" Hardwick and Johnny Hodges on altos, Barney Bigard and Ben Webster on tenor, and Harry Carney on bari. I don't have a link for this, maybe someone can find one?

Julian

This one is near the top of my list. Composed by my buddy Jerome Richardson who is playing his old silver plated mk6 soprano on this. Another buddy on this band is Eddie Bert, the trombonist 2nd from the left. Eddie played in my band at the Tavern On The Green in NYC from 2001 till 2004. He also worked with Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Stan Kenton, the Dick Cavett show, and a million other gigs. Eddie's still working and playing great.
The reeds here are Jerome and Jerry Dodgion on altos, Joe Henderson and Eddie Daniels on tenor, and Pepper Adams on bari. Not too shabby, eh?

I would nominate Duke Ellington's 1940 recording of "Cottontail," with it's very extensive and very swinging reed chorus. Otto "Toby" Hardwick and Johnny Hodges on altos, Barney Bigard and Ben Webster on tenor, and Harry Carney on bari. I don't have a link for this, maybe someone can find one?

Julian

This was 1 of the 1st videos I saved in favorites on Youtube. That whole group was just amazing.

Back
Top Bottom