Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Trill fingering needed

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Clarion Bb to altissimo Eb.

Doing a Rossini transcription that calls for this trill in a Bb soprano clarinet. Nothing seems to pop this one out. Everything I have tried so far seems cumbersome and unresponsive.

Ideally I'd play it on an Eb clarinet, but it is being serviced and may not be available for some time. Since it is doubled in the Bb I'd like to find a way to make it happen.

Any ideas or links?

Rossini liked to write for the C clarinet, as his favorite clarinet player did everything on the C instrument (or so I have read). That may account for the out of reach shake that you're being asked to make.

We did tons of Rossini transcriptions when I was in high school back in the early 1960s. (This was before the all pervasive spread of "graded contest charts" - I recall that all of the transcriptions came from the same company that did the 1812 Overture one - inky print with very dark notes from the engraving. Most of them had the occasional impossible fingering in them at one point or another, at least in the Clarinet 1 and Solo Clarinet part.

Like at rehearsal last night, how do you trill to a flatted note from E ?

You may be on to something Terry. I might bring my C and transpose the whole thing. Some of those chromatic altissimo runs might lay better down a step too.

If I read you right, I would probably play the Altissimo Eb the normal way and for the clarion Bb. I'd use forked--ie. LH top hole covered and RH 1st finger and key between 2nd & 3rd RH holes. Not great, but maybe the best option.

Back
Top Bottom