Tumbleweed Thread

I am nothing more than a repository for useless knowledge. That's what happens when you 1) read a lot (about three to four books a week) and 2) have a relatively good memory.

An example:

The large pepper grinders (the ones that look like one of the posts on your four poster bed) wielded by waiters at high class establishments were once (and may still be, for all I know) as Rubirosas. They acquired this monicker after the resemblance to a particular body part of the notorious playboy Porfirio Rubirosa, the son of the Dominican dictator Trujillo, and they are still known by that name in French restaurants.
I am pretty sure I read about Porfirio Rubirosa and definitely about Trujillo in that book that ended up on the New York best seller list. It is about some kid and his sister, and that pretty much does it for someone with a relatively, or rather awfully, bad memory. If you are referring to the same book, It should give you a pretty good idea of how bad things can get. In medical school, I studied with a friend who had photographic memory. I had straight As after the first half and still felt like a complete idiot, because other than principles and logic, which stuck right away, everything else got wiped out almost immediately after I read it. In contrast, my friend could remember what page he had read something on. He was too laid back to ever go for it, but he could have made a fool out of any professor that crossed his path. It is totally unfair. Some have universal adhesive inside their skull and others...to stick with the topic(?) of this thread...have tumbleweed!

I am not sure what I would give for a relatively good memory but quite a lot for sure. :(

I happen to have a good memory for photographs. This has paid off for other folks, in the past, when I either can recognize a horn feature from X or if I see a photo on eBay that I know I've seen before, so I can alert a particular dealer. Other than that, I have a terrible memory due, in large part, to some of the medications I'm on. Recently, I've been playing with something called "Evernote" that allows me to keep a virtual "to do/to remember" list synchronized between all my computers and my Crackberry.

earworm alert

My memory doesn't seem to be much affected by current medications but age and dissipation have surely done a job on it. The "tumbleweed" thread 'triggered' something in what little is left of it that has subsequently wriggled and niggled until finally finding its way out today.

As a tad growing up in Cheyenne, Wyoming way back in the late 40s/early 50s, I used to attend the afternoon double features at the lesser of the local movie houses (The Princess Theater). Although it was the serials I remember most fondly (e.g., Flash Gordon battling Ming the Merciless) the features left their mark. Hoot Gibson, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, and especially Leonard Slye (Roy Rogers - see "triggered" above for pre-punnish impact) with his close harmony singing group - the Sons of the Pioneers. Gene sang "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" in the eponymous movie from 1935, but The Pioneers (which Roy founded) are probably the most recorded group - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiSMyyj-Ac

Now that memory has struck and I seem to have the tune firmly embedded in my head, I expect I'll probably shuffle off this mortal coil to the strains of "Tumbling Tumbledweeds" - I really hope nobody starts a thread on the Macarena....:geezer2:

The large pepper grinders (...)
FWIW the grinding mechanism used in those four-poster-bed-posts grinders are made by Peugeot. They made pepper grinders before diverting to cars. (yes, it's the same company).
(FWIW we just returned home on our trusty 806 from St. Tropez.)

such as ....
[1] on clarinets the A throat key is known as having a flat spring only.
Are/were there any big manufacturers that have ever used another method for that key ?
Yes, Bundy (the Resothingy) has a needle spring on that key.

Tumbleweeds

Terry, my understanding is that tumbleweeds were accidentally imported from Eurasia in seed shipments. I had thought it was Russian wheat (which appeared wonderfully ironic to me in the 70s when we were exporting wheat to Russia). However, a quick Google turns up a source that claims their first appearance was "in 1877 in Bon Homme County, South Dakota, apparently transported in flax seed imported by Ukrainian farmers."

Loved the pepper shaker story!

Back
Top Bottom