V12's - All I Can Say is WOW!

Just had to take a moment to jump up and down and scream like a little girl! I just received a box of Vandoren V12 Bb clar reeds... oh my goodness! The sound is so pure, dark, clear! The response is awesome - my articulation is right on, and I have great control in all the registers, particularly those little high notes that previously made my dog cringe, now she came and sat by me while I was playing :wink:

Enjoy them. I've played them and they are nice. I also enjoy Mitchell Lurie's.

I like the V12 too. I think they use a thicker cane from sax cane to allow a stiffer and slightly tonally darker reed. I mostly use Traditional but will be going to V12s when my Trads run out.

Love the V12s, played them pretty much exclusively from the last year of college until (dirty little secret) switched to Legere about 5 years ago. Love those, too.

I used to take the traditionals and cut the tip a bit then file a bit in a few places to make it more playable. I've also filed down 5s to get them the way I want them. But since the V12s came out I haven't done that. I still have about 6 Traditionals to use up.

I also play Legeres but for play testing clarinets - during repair and the tweaking process which requires an "instant on" reed.

Glad you like them!
I've been having a good time with the 56 rue lepics, if you have a chance give those a try, they're incredibly smooth and consistent. Different from the V12s for sure, but an interesting change.

Steve, I used to file down intentionally purchased thick reeds too "back in the day", and found the traditionals to be a perfect candidate. I still have a few that I turned in to my "lucky 3.5s" and they still work.

Back
Top Bottom