Web Hosting for a Band

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone here use any of the sites designed for promoting a music group? Some of the better known include:
  • ReverbNation
  • MySpace
  • SoundCloud
  • HostBaby
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Back story: My friend is looking to put her music, videos, calendar dates, bio, etc onto a site, and allow for links to facebook as well. [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]She knows nothing about web design, hosting, etc. I don't want to volunteer to be a full time web admin either. I have been meaning to research this but have never had the time.[/FONT]

I'm currently using around 7 music sites (besides the band profile app on facebook) to post recordings of my originals. They include reverbnation, soundcloud, myspace, berklee music, fiddle hangout, official.fm, and american music center.

Reverbnation has all of the 31 recordings that I currently have. Every now and then I add more recordings to the other sites. One needs to have a Reverbnation page in order to use the Band Profile app on Facebook. This site is very easy to use in conjunction with facebook.

While some musicians and listeners use multiple sites, there are some who focus on perhaps one. In this way, I'm able to get my originals out to a larger number of folks.

I like Soundcloud very much. It has some features that Reverbnation does not have such as being able to join various kinds of groups (music styles) and timed comments. It's worth checking out. One needs to be on Soundcloud in order to have recordings on Berklee Music.

Frankly, I've been extremely disappointed by Myspace. All of the other sites leave Myspace in their dust with respect to the number of plays my recordings have received.

A surprisingly good site is Fiddle Hangout. Of course, one wouldn't normally think of this site as a logical place for woodwind players. However, I've posted around 20+ recordings there and they have received a surprisingly large number of plays. Of course, I use VIOLIN in many of my recordings so it makes sense that I'd include this site with the others. (It was recommended to me by a banjo player I met on facebook who plays great jazz on the banjo.) The site has several features that I really like: having a description of each tune easy to see on the list of recordings (all of the other sites involve clicking on a tune title link to see a description), tunes can easily be organized by style in playlists, and the site also has a blog feature. I have a link to Fiddle Hangout from my composer's page at the American Music Center as well as in my signature on SOTW and this forum.

The most recent site I started using is Official.fm. In some ways, it appears to be somewhat similar to Soundcloud. However, I think that Soundcloud is overall a better site with respect to its functionality.

One needs to be a Berklee alumn or current student to use the Berklee Music site. I think that I have around 13 recordings posted there. Not much activity has happened. One good feature is I'm able to post both recordings and copies of the music (similar as the American Music Center).

Hope this helps!

Roger

Back
Top Bottom